Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone wax their windows?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Anyone wax their windows?

OK, so we all know about waxing your car's exterior panels.

Does anyone wax their windows??

I was curious about it and reading that quite a few people do this with great results. I think I may give this a try.

Does anyone else wax, not just their car, but the windows as well?

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    most wiper blades when in use, will lift off the windshield at higher speeds. thats when a fresh coat of wax or rain x is good to have.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    RainX

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Ah, guess no one here really waxes their windows/windshield. I'm going to try it out next week probably. Just figured since I had wax already, would be nice to just do everything in one go (body and windows) since I have the wax out already, so no need to buy another product (RainX). I'm also thinking that if you use Carnauba Wax on the windows, you will also get UV blocking benefits as well as water beading/contaminant reduction. This'll be the first time I wax my car. Been around a month and a half since I bought it, so it's getting to that time to apply another protective coat (or maybe I'm past due since it was sitting at the dealership for who knows how long). Water still beads, but from what I can remember, the beads formed are not as substantial as when I first bought it. Will let you guys know how the window waxing goes!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I know a few people that do it. I don't since I use Rain-X because it's more hydrophobic and stays longer after running wipers. Waxing the side windows is fairly popular on the Meguiar's forums. People usually don't wax the front or rear because the wipers take the wax off within a few swipes.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Update:

I waxed my car for the first time on Friday. I had washed and dried my car right before to make sure I was applying wax to a clean surface.

The wax I decided to use was Meguiar's Deep Crystal Liquid Carnauba wax. I think it costs around 7-8 bucks for a bottle.

Deep Crystal is their 'lowest' quality on their rating tier. They also have Gold Class in the middle, and Ultimate at the top (I think Ultimate is like $20 for a bottle!).

I waxed of course, all of the entire body avoiding the black trim parts. Question, how does one avoid touching these places with those circular application pads??! This was my first time waxing, and I found it quite hard!!

Anyways, after doing the body, I also waxed the front windshield to try it out. Buffed out real nice and clear, no vision impediment at all. Has been raining the past 2 days so I got to see first hand, real fast the supposed Rain X effect. Now, I have never used Rain X so I have no point of comparison, but the water beads travelling off your windshield (starts around 40-45 mph) is awesome with the wax! Plus, I get the UV protection from the Carnauba layer! I liked it so much, I've decided to do all the windows next time I need to wax.

An unexpected effect though of waxing - I got improved gas mileage numbers! Nothing insane like 10 more mpgs, but I do get now on average, an extra 3-4 mpgs for each trip.

-Charlie-

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I just bought a product from Mits, Acdelco. Doesn't leave water marks, eats off the grime off the window. It is what is in the washer bottle in new cars

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wax windows and windshields most of the times.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    when I had new cars, I never waxed. My personal belief is if they thought you'de buy steer chit, they bottle it. The trick is to wash often, you can't pick up chicks in a dirty car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's just ignorant. Waxing the clearcoat protects the clear and paint with a physical and UV shield. Washing does nothing but slowly take away clear coat. It's not as solid as people think. All you're doing by washing with never waxing is ruining the paint and car.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)