Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: My DIY Oil Change Nightmare

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by closedknuckle View Post
    Hello everyone,
    anyone else have a nightmare trying to get factory filter off? I am still trying and have had no luck, any tips or suggestions?
    thank you
    Try using a steel oil filter cap wrench.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I took the easy way out and had the dealership do the first oil change (since they did the first one free) so someone else had to struggle with getting the factory installed filter off. However, for my old S10 truck there were a couple times I had to hammer in a screwdriver into the old filter to get enough leverage.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Like above , may want to take it to Mitsu service dept..

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by closedknuckle View Post
    Hello everyone,
    anyone else have a nightmare trying to get factory filter off? I am still trying and have had no luck, any tips or suggestions?
    thank you
    The factory oil filter can be VERY difficult to remove. I removed the entire underbody lower plastic shield which is held in place by plastic rivets. They are removed by carefully prying the center portion of the rivet down which will release the rivet. Next, I remove the "funnel thing" underneath the oil filter by removing the wire attached to it, and using a socket and extension to remove the one bolt holding it to the engine block. You can't see it, and will have to work by feel. Sorry, I can't remember the size (probably 12-14mm). The oil filter will be exposed and you can use the smallest compression band type oil filter wrench on it. I could not find a cap type wrench that would fit the factory filter. It was a struggle and I exerted so much pressure, that I wound up denting the body of the filter before I finally got it to turn. If all else fails, you can use the ultimate oil filter removal technique and drive a large screwdriver through the body of the filter to get it turning. Good luck.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I didnt have any problems removing my oil filter... But the dealership did the FIRST oil change. So they may have hand-tightened this one.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I didnt have any problems removing my oil filter... But the dealership did the FIRST oil change. So they may have hand-tightened this one.
    I already own this kind of filter wrench and did not want to spend money on another one

It definately was hard to get that damn thing off, it was the most time consuming part of the oil change. Even after I removed that plastic panel on the bottom it was super hard to get any leverage and it was always at an odd angle.

I wish I had taken a photo of the factory filter after I finally got it off, it looked like a pitbull had been chewing it, all mangled up from being squeezed. I should have just hammered a screwdriver into it but I forgot about that trick.

I also put on a fumoto valve. Thats the reason I did not bring it to dealership for free first oil change, I was afraid they would refuse to put the Fumoto valve on or maybe even make a note that I had put it on so that they could use it as an excuse to deny me some warranty claim in the future.

I Dont trust those crooks at the dealership and "free service" probably means waiting for 5 hours. I read about dealership offering free oil changes for life and the secret was they left you waiting minimum 6 hours so that you would never come back again in the future to redeem your "free oil changes"
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2015 Mirage DE 5 speed Manual - 30k miles

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 44.9 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 53.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I should of read this thread before I attempted my oil change. I had the dealer do the first one, since it was free as well. The overtightened the oil filter, it was impossible to get off. I tried every single type of filter wrench you can think of. And nothing worked. I sent the girlfriend to the auto parts store while I tried and tried. I had her purchase one of the spring loaded wrenches that attach to a rachet. Amazon has them for around $10, I paid about $15 because I needed it that moment. As soon as she got home, I slipped on the wrench, attached the rachet and with one turn it was off. I wasted so much time with the others. The Lisle 63600 is the wrench.

Name:  41gd0o9Ph8L._SY400_.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  21.0 KB