Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2015 Nissan Micra vs. 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - kyleregan.net

2015 Nissan Micra vs. 2014 Mitsubishi Mirage - kyleregan.net

Name:  micra-vs-mirage.jpg
Views: 7815
Size:  34.4 KB

At first glance, I thought this was a "professional" review, but on further reading realized it's a detailed blog posting from a private individual who's cross-shopping these two cars.

Mirage vs. Micra is interesting: currently for around the same price (for the base model), they offer strong but competing arguments for fuel economy (Mirage) or zippyness (Micra has much more power).

You might be able to predict which way this person is leaning when he starts out by saying: "the first thing I’m considering is fuel economy."

He test drove both cars and noted:

Micra:

- nice power to weight (1.6L, 109 hp), even with 3 adults on board
    - generous rear headroom
    - no frills: manual mirrors, windows, locks
    - higher seating position

Mirage:

- pleasantly surprised by the car: "fun to drive and handled quite well"
    - wasn't expecting much from the 74 hp engine, but "I far preferred the sound that the engine on the Mitsubishi put out over the Micra. The mirage had a real rich and unique sound; almost like it was planned."
    - preferred the interior styling of the Mirage

It'll be interesting to read which car he ultimately chooses. Seems to be leaning toward the Mirage.

Read his full blog post: http://kylereagan.net/marketing/2015...ubishi-mirage/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    At 7k miles, the sound of my mirage is only getting better - stock.

Really? Now I'm looking forward to trying a Mirage with more miles on it. Because I love the engine character too.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Also: it's funny that he felt the Mirage handled better. I disagree! And I've also driven both cars.

The Mirage perhaps feels more driveable in the city because of its lighter weight and the lightness of its controls. I wonder if that's what he meant.

Because in spirited driving, the Micra definitely corners flatter (standard front and rear sway bars), probably has more grip (fatter rubber) and the steering is more responsive.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Also: it's funny that he felt the Mirage handled better. I disagree! And I've also driven both cars.

The Mirage perhaps feels more driveable in the city because of its lighter weight and the lightness of its controls. I wonder if that's what he meant.

Because in spirited driving, the Micra definitely corners flatter (standard front and rear sway bars), probably has more grip (fatter rubber) and the steering is more responsive.
    I haven't tried the Micra. One of my first impressions when getting in a Mirage and having to navigate downtown traffic was how relaxing it was. Compared to many cars, the Mirage felt very maneuverable, and also easy to know where it is (i.e. you can see the front bumper and know exactly how much room you have. I liked that about the Mirage in the city. By contrast, I find the driving position of the Honda Civic for example to be lower and further from the front of the car, making it less intuitive to navigate tight streets.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Canoehead: I hear you. I just picked up a high-km 2007 Civic 5-speed as a winter car. (I'm not going to subject the Firefly to salt any more).

The Civic has horrible forward visibility vs. the Mirage (and many other cars). The angle and thickness of the A-pillar occupies a serious chunk of forward visibility and you have to actively look around it to ensure nothing is hiding in that blind spot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    ^ You picked up a civic?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by grsupercity View Post
    ^ You picked up a civic?
    If you mean me, no. I have driven a few, though. If you mean metro - it seems that way. If you mean literally, still no, but I have lifted my Ford Focus off the ground very briefly (just the rear corner) when trying to loosen a stuck lug-nut.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I drive one '13 model. Need to see if I get annoyed by the a pillar as much as metro.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    If you mean me, no. I have driven a few, though. If you mean metro - it seems that way. If you mean literally, still no, but I have lifted my Ford Focus off the ground very briefly (just the rear corner) when trying to loosen a stuck lug-nut.
    Hahaha i meant metro.