Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 10w-30

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Had the oil changed at the dealer today and they used 5W20 Castrol Syntec Synthetic. I am in New Orleans and this was the free oil change. I will start changing on my own and will most probably just go with the 0W20 but may stick with 5W20 as my other two vehicles use 5W20. They also used the standard Mitsubishi Oil Filter MZ690072.

2014 Mitsubishi Mirage DE 5MT
    2012 Mazda CX-9 Grand Touring AWD
    2007 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Yea, oils get thinner the hotter they get (and conversely, thicker the colder it is). So, a 0W-20 is super thin at engine operating temperatures, and doesn't stick to the metal as easily, since it is incredibly runny. Engine clatter occurs when metal begins to hit metal (not a good thing, in my opinion), and I hear alot of clatter with 0W-20 and 5W-20 (and somewhat with 5W-30). So, at least in my opinion, a thicker oil like 10W-30 "sticks" to metal parts better than 0W-20 and isolates metal contact more ... thus quieting down the engine.
    Last edited by cookiemonster; 07-15-2014 at 02:36 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If you want a quiet engine, shouldnt have bought the mirage. Do what you feel you have to, but I'll stick with what the manual tells me to.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's more "smoother" than "quieter". It's still pretty loud on 10w-30, and I enjoy the rumble.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Check out this stuff called RS-R RanUp. I thought it was just more snake oil, but people are starting to post dyno results with it proving it works. MotoIQ and several "tuner" magazines have done testing with it and proven results. Since we use so little oil anyway, I figure one bottle should actually be enough for two oil changes. I plan to get some when I come due for a change here in roughly ~1500 miles.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    It's still depends on the oil. some brand oil sticks better to the metal than other type or brand. I agree with Ares as I will follow what manual tells me to, which is 0W20 and 20.000 km refreshment cycle.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm living on the wild side with my 10w-30

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I ran Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy in 0w-20 for about 3k miles. Never again. Switched to Castrol Edge in 0w-20 with one quart of Royal Purple in 5w-20 and it sounded SO much better, and the dry starts were virtually gone. Maybe I'll thicken up the Mobil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and use it for top ups, but I've got a full change's worth that I don't want to use.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I ran Mobil 1 Advanced Fuel Economy in 0w-20 for about 3k miles. Never again. Switched to Castrol Edge in 0w-20 with one quart of Royal Purple in 5w-20 and it sounded SO much better, and the dry starts were virtually gone. Maybe I'll thicken up the Mobil with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and use it for top ups, but I've got a full change's worth that I don't want to use.
    What issues were you having with the Mobil 1? I'm running the exact same thing in my engine right now, Mobil 1, Advanced Fuel Economy, 0w-20 - engine acts exactly the same as the factory fill before I changed it. Whatever issues you were having, maybe you can try mixing the RP 5w-20 with the Mobil 1 AFE 0w-20 as you did the Castrol.

If you really don't want the Mobil 1 stuff, you can send them over to me!

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The engine clatters for the first second during startup, indicative of a condition known as a "dry-start," where parts are moving without oil between them. This accelerates wear. The Castrol/RP blend not only cured it, but also quieted and smoothed out noise during operation. After running older high-mileage cars, I've become a stickler for preventative maintenance and addressing signs of premature wear to increase engine life.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)