Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Lightbulb Upgraded rotors & brake pads

Changed to a slotted & cross-drilled rotor + bendix brake pad setup for the front because let's face it, the rear is hopeless to upgrade (unless someone comes out with a disc brake option).

Initial feedback is nosier than our OEM ones. Stopping power is mildly better than stock. I think the best test would be to bring it to the track. Soon.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    1 upgrade for the rear is off the Mirage sedan/G4/Attrage. They use 8" drum brakes, the hatch only uses 7"
    Also the front brakes are 1" bigger on the sedan due to weight being more.
    Those drilled ones look nice

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Good info Mistah JT. Where did you find it?
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Good idea. Ship us some G4 parts from the homeland!

EDIT:
    If the brakes are different between the sedan and hatch, I'm willing to bet that the springs and shocks are different too! We just need to find out if everything is bolt-on-able or if there are any differences in how they are mounted.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The front is 99% chance that it's the same but the rear is probably slighly different.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    Good info Mistah JT. Where did you find it?
    Mitsubishi site.
    Shows full specs of both. I have already compared them :P

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mistah JT For This Useful Post:

Daox (07-16-2014),MirageRally (12-26-2020)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Please keep an eye on those brake rotors. Cross drilling of rotors, unless they are made with the holes already in them, weaken rotors. I have seen several sets form cracks in them after spirited driving. The high end ones on super cars serve a function of helping to cool the rotors. Cross drilling on rotors like this only serve to look cool and actually they reduce the braking capability of a vehicle by reducing the surface area the brake pads have to work with.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 91cavgt View Post
    The high end ones on super cars serve a function of helping to cool the rotors. Cross drilling on rotors like this only serve to look cool and actually they reduce the braking capability of a vehicle by reducing the surface area the brake pads have to work with.
    Yeah, I have to second that. We'd likely be best served by stepping up pad quality on a standard flat rotor, which will give the most gripping surface. The rear drum upgrade sounds like it could work, though I'm not sure you'd feel it as much as a better pad for the front brakes. Really, who's putting down so much power that better/bigger tires and a pad change don't give enough braking ability?

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GrnBn View Post
    Really, who's putting down so much power that better/bigger tires and a pad change don't give enough braking ability?
    I used to race my 2002 Hyundai Accent on road courses. I quickly found that just upgrading to better brake pads and better tires made the brake fluid boil, quickly. So, I found that a set of well designed brake cooling ducts do wonders for tiny brakes with upgraded pads. Well, I still had to swap the brake fluid out for Motul 600 RBF, but after that I was able to stop quicker than the sports cars I was running against!!

So, because of that experience, I agree that the best upgrade for braking would be to change out the tires to wider/stickier ones, replace the stock pads for performance oriented ones, and I'll add to swap out the brake fluid as well. This is because the stock brake fluid typically has a wet boiling point of 284 degrees F. Aftermarket brake fluid (DO NOT USE DOT 5) can have a wet boiling point as high as almost 600 degrees F.

If you don't care about stopping distances and want the car to look better then by all means cross drilled rotors are fine. But please, check them on a regular basis for cracks.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    what kinda rotor is this.
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 8474
Size:  40.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 12010
Size:  34.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage GLS 1.2 manual: 3,108.4 mpg (US) ... 1,321.5 km/L ... 0.1 L/100 km ... 3,733.0 mpg (Imp)