Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve noise on start-up!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranny View Post
    Very old thread. I was going to post a new one on the same subject, but did a search prior to posting and found this. I have a 2015 Mirage purchased in March 2016. If the car sits over night or all day while I'm at work, it has the clattering sound, likely from somewhere in the the top end of the engine, for about 5 seconds after start. The oil doesn't appear to be low (tough to read because it's so clean). I've experienced this with much older cars, but never on a brand new one. I'm sure it's just because the oil has drained out of the head, so it's noisy until it's pumped back up there immediately after start.

I like the idea of the slightly heavier oil, but wonder if this would cause a hit in the mileage. Anyone have comments on that? Or how about the momentary clatter on start up if the car sits for about 8 hours? I'm not too concerned about this, but it would be interesting to know if this is typical of the car, or if it's sort of unique to mine. If the latter were the case, I might bring it up to the dealer, tho I'm sure they's say 'normal behavior'.
    If the oil filter you are using doesn't have a anti drain back flap (such as the OEM filter or if it's not functioning properly) you'll get valve train noise until the oil pump refills the filter and pumps oil back through the system. I would change to a different brand of filter and I'm running 5-30 synthetic. Eliminated cold start up chatter and eliminated the "sewing machine" sound at operating temp. Sounds much better and no difference in fuel economy.

Last edited by inuvik; 06-18-2016 at 03:06 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-18-2016),Ranny (06-18-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Very old thread. I was going to post a new one on the same subject, but did a search prior to posting and found this. I have a 2015 Mirage purchased in March 2016. If the car sits over night or all day while I'm at work, it has the clattering sound, likely from somewhere in the the top end of the engine, for about 5 seconds after start. The oil doesn't appear to be low (tough to read because it's so clean). I've experienced this with much older cars, but never on a brand new one. I'm sure it's just because the oil has drained out of the head, so it's noisy until it's pumped back up there immediately after start.

I like the idea of the slightly heavier oil, but wonder if this would cause a hit in the mileage. Anyone have comments on that? Or how about the momentary clatter on start up if the car sits for about 8 hours? I'm not too concerned about this, but it would be interesting to know if this is typical of the car, or if it's sort of unique to mine. If the latter were the case, I might bring it up to the dealer, tho I'm sure they's say 'normal behavior'.
    Be sure to use a filter with an 'anti-drainback valve'. I don't think the factory filters have them...for some reason...but the OEM Mitsubishi service filters do.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Or how about the momentary clatter on start up if the car sits for about 8 hours? I'm not too concerned about this, but it would be interesting to know if this is typical of the car, or if it's sort of unique to mine.
    Mine makes this noise, but for less than five seconds.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    what kind of filters are you guys using that HAS the anti drainage valve? i believe the OEM one has it.

edit see below
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 06-28-2016 at 04:16 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm using a Hastings LF486 (long version of the recommended filter). I'm also running 5w-30 full synthetic Dexos1 certified oil.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (06-21-2016)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    what kind of filters are you guys using that HAS the anti drainage valve? i believe the OEM one has it.
    I'm glad you've said that. Whilst I can't speak for the one fitted at the factory, when I last did an inbetween-service oil&filter change, I bought a genuine one and noted that whilst it was see through, there was an anti-drainback flap covering the filtration media; as there was on the one that came out, though the clear flap was now stained black with oil. Both had the same part number (1230A105)

What did surprise/concern me is how small the filter is. As soon as the warranty expires, it'll have a bigger unit installed, that's for sure!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teasmade View Post
    I'm glad you've said that. Whilst I can't speak for the one fitted at the factory, when I last did an inbetween-service oil&filter change, I bought a genuine one and noted that whilst it was see through, there was an anti-drainback flap covering the filtration media; as there was on the one that came out, though the clear flap was now stained black with oil. Both had the same part number (1230A105)

What did surprise/concern me is how small the filter is. As soon as the warranty expires, it'll have a bigger unit installed, that's for sure!
    Baldwin Filters are available in the UK. B1402 is the standard size filter and the B1431 is the longer version.

http://catalog.baldwinfilter.com/Par...rtnumber=B1402

I use the Hastings LF486 (same manufacturer, different product line). which is the same thing as the Baldwin B1431.

http://catalog.hastingsfilter.com/Pa...rtnumber=LF486
    Last edited by inuvik; 06-22-2016 at 01:14 AM.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Teasmade (06-23-2016)

Country
    UK
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's good to know, Inuvik. Thank you!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage 3 CVT 1.2 automatic: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    I made a chart of Baldwin filters that should fit our cars. You can find it here.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (06-23-2016),R01k (06-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    I'm using a k@n with the welded on nut for easy removal. its junk, and expensive junk at that. Ide guess there's no checkk, because after swapping too this, is when i started getting a definite chatter on start.
    i recant my statement. I cleaned out my garage and found my k@n wrench off in it's neat little box. i have an STP filter on which, now i remember, was free with a $18 gallon of "0-20 full synthetic for mpg vehicles" that i changed out right away after about 50 miles.

"k@n hp1010" it said right on the box it has the drainback valve. my receipt said i paid $11 from o rielys which is a lot for an oil filter in general.