Thread: U.S. class action lawsuit filed against Mitsubishi over CVT problems

U.S. class action lawsuit filed against Mitsubishi over CVT problems

Prepare for heads to explode! (Dirk?)

Mitsubishi CVT problems have caused a class action lawsuit which alleges these vehicles jerk, shudder, surge and have acceleration issues because of the continuously variable transmissions.

[...]

The Mitsubishi CVT class action lawsuit was filed by three plaintiffs [from New York, Michigan and California].

[...]

According to the plaintiffs, since 2014 Mitsubishi has been aware of the CVT problems and how the transmissions need frequent repairs and replacements. And the plaintiffs say even though Mitsubishi knew about the alleged transmission problems, the automaker continued to install the CVTs in vehicles.

Consumers had no way of knowing about the alleged CVT problems because Mitsubishi concealed the alleged defects even while sending technical service bulletins (TSBs) to dealerships.

[...]

The Mitsubishi CVT lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California: Hardy, et al., v. Mitsubishi Motors North America, Inc., et al.
    The lawsuit apparently applies to vehicles with both the CVT-7 (Mirage) and the CVT-8.

https://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2...-lawsuit.shtml

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Name:  scooby.jpg
Views: 784
Size:  28.8 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    3 Plaintiffs can start a Class Action Law Suit??? Why does this sound like "Fake News???" ...
    I didn't know what to do, so I didn't do anything

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2018 Mirage GT 1.2 automatic: 37.3 mpg (US) ... 15.9 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 44.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Turkmenistan
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,242 Times in 909 Posts
    I dunno. We got a good indication of solid reliability from the CVT7 from all of Fummin's fleet numbers. Mitsu has sold 150k Mirages in the states alone. I have clue about overseas sales but I bet it matches our numbers. That's a lot of owners that could be on the internet b#tching about premature CVT7 failures and yet after scoring the internet, I couldn't find hardly anything. Nissan owners on the other hand.......

Worst comes to worse, maybe Mitsu will extend warranties for all Mirages? Similar to what Nissan did.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    My 2019 ES CVT has so far been problem free in the transmission department. I am gentle on acceleration and I will have the fluid changed every 30,000 miles (50,000Km for the Canadian forum members.) and do the filters every second change. There doesn't seem to be too many complaints about CVT issues on the forum, so I'm not too concerned. It will be interesting to see if these three litigants get the class action certified. Yes. CVT transmissions can be quirky, but I do not find it, in any way, spoiling the enjoyment of my little Mitsu!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirk Diggler View Post
    I dunno. We got a good indication of solid reliability from the CVT7 from all of Fummin's fleet numbers. Mitsu has sold 150k Mirages in the states alone. I have clue about overseas sales but I bet it matches our numbers.
    Mitsu probably built a million 6th gen Mirages by the end of last year.

Thread: 6th gen Mirage production history/sales trivia! Mar. 20, 2012 launch

That's a lot of owners that could be on the internet b#tching about premature CVT7 failures and yet after scoring the internet, I couldn't find hardly anything. Nissan owners on the other hand.......
    Yeah, gotta wonder if there are CVT lawsuits from Versa/Note & Spark owners.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by klroger View Post
    3 Plaintiffs can start a Class Action Law Suit??? Why does this sound like "Fake News???" ...
    It only takes 3 plaintiffs for a class action suit to be filed in the US.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)