Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve noise on start-up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

Valve noise on start-up!

I have to know if anybody else has noticed LOUD valve noise on start-up or valve float at cruising speed?

I will get a sound clip up on youtube tomorrow morning of start-up noise.

Is it possible its the timing chain at cruising speed I am hearing?
    Last edited by ednevell; 07-25-2014 at 03:43 PM.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I suspect the Mirage's engine has loud valves, especially running the thin 0W-20. After changing it to 10W-30, the clatter has quieted down considerably.

Could be time for a valve adjustment too.

I'll look for your sound clip.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have about 5700 miles on the car, is it due for valve adjustment already?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Unlikely, but possible. Per the service schedule for 30,000 miles/24 months: "If valve noise increases, adjust valve clearance. This maintenance is not “scheduled” service, should be done any time."

5. The Following User Says Thank You to cookiemonster For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (07-25-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Unlikely, but possible. Per the service schedule for 30,000 miles/24 months: "If valve noise increases, adjust valve clearance. This maintenance is not “scheduled” service, should be done any time."
    Excellent thank you cookiemonster. I think I will try switching next oil change to a higher grade oil and maybe a 5w 30 or 10w 30.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ednevell View Post
    Excellent thank you cookiemonster. I think I will try switching next oil change to a higher grade oil and maybe a 5w 30 or 10w 30.
    No problem.

Yeah, my engine worked fine before the viscosity change, but it always seemed a little too clattery than what I expected it should be. The 10w-30 didn't quiet down the noise 'loudness' by much, but made the noise much smoother, so much so that I feel that the 3A92 was actually designed for 30 weight oil (and, according to my research, 30 is recommended for this engine pretty much everywhere in the world besides North America)

Then again, your noise can be something completely different problem. Hard to say without hearing it.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Listen to Audi's 5cyl engines and the 5cyl in the Chevy small pickup. They're clunkier than most with even numbered cylinders.

Even the triumph 3cyl engines have a distinct sound compared to vtwin, v4, inline twin or inline for.

You have to determine the difference between unique engine sounds vs somethings wrong with it sounds.

Also make sure you have enough oil. If the oil isnt being circulated correctly at startup?

No valve noise at all on the Mirage I borrowed for 2 weeks. ~4k km on the odometer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    You mean the really loud tick tick tick noise?
    That's the lifters. Mitsubishi's come from factory with that problem. They all end up getting it, oil is the issue.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Very old thread. I was going to post a new one on the same subject, but did a search prior to posting and found this. I have a 2015 Mirage purchased in March 2016. If the car sits over night or all day while I'm at work, it has the clattering sound, likely from somewhere in the the top end of the engine, for about 5 seconds after start. The oil doesn't appear to be low (tough to read because it's so clean). I've experienced this with much older cars, but never on a brand new one. I'm sure it's just because the oil has drained out of the head, so it's noisy until it's pumped back up there immediately after start.

I like the idea of the slightly heavier oil, but wonder if this would cause a hit in the mileage. Anyone have comments on that? Or how about the momentary clatter on start up if the car sits for about 8 hours? I'm not too concerned about this, but it would be interesting to know if this is typical of the car, or if it's sort of unique to mine. If the latter were the case, I might bring it up to the dealer, tho I'm sure they's say 'normal behavior'.