Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manual transmissions die too (or are killed)

Manual transmissions die too (or are killed)

Name:  busted-trans.jpg
Views: 1497
Size:  80.7 KB

I have an e-mail alert for Mirages for sale under $4k within 500 km (300 mi.) of here.

The above ad is for a base 2015 with a busted manual transmission. (Also it has 200k km / 120k miles on it and they're asking $2k, which is nuts, but that's another story.)

That's at least the 5th ad I've seen in the last couple of years for a Mirage with that detail mentioned. (Or stating that the manual transmission has already been replaced.) Here was another one - a 2014 for $1700.

The owner told me the mechanic said it could not be driven far or fast.

And let's not forget Steve's 300k mile Mirage with a troublesome but undiagnosed manual transmission problem that forced him to finally park the car:

Edit: added Dodge Aries K's BASKETCASE (though its transmission was likely murdered vs. defective):

Just something to think about. They're apparently not quite as bulletproof as we might like to think.

ANOTHER edit: adding dustyb's grenaded manual:

Thread: https://mirageforum.com/forum/showth...ll=1#post93810

dustyb adds this caveat:
    "This car has been used and abused. With normal driving and maintenance this should never happen. I didn't do my first trans oil change until about 116K miles"

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

AtomicPunk (02-22-2021),Fummins (02-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    And my basketcase hahaha! Transmission roached! But I think that may have been the doing of the previous owner more than the car.
    -Karl B. No Mirages currently...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dodge Aries K For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (02-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,471 Posts
    I can't find the thread but there was someone complaining about their clutch going bad in 100K miles. Then he proceeded to mention how he liked to "launch it" a lot.

I can only imagine how hard a life some Mirage manual transmissions have lived due to operator error.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 52.2 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.6 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Top_Fuel For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Fuel View Post
    I can only imagine how hard a life some Mirage manual transmissions have lived due to operator error.
    Or operator bad intentions.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Yeah, it'd be helpful to know exactly what failed in them to warrant replacement.

I've bought manual cars with worn out synchros, but you could deal with that by careful (unhurried) shifting or double clutching. Not what I would call "broken".

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm guessing they're not bulletproof, but I'm also guessing they weren't exactly babied, either. The cost of this car new and used likely puts it in the hands of some inexperienced drivers who don't do a lot of maintenance. If any version of this car gets to 300k miles thats a win in my book.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtomicPunk For This Useful Post:

inuvik (02-22-2021),MirageRally (02-22-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk View Post
    I'm guessing they're not bulletproof, but I'm also guessing they weren't exactly babied, either. The cost of this car new and used likely puts it in the hands of some inexperienced drivers who don't do a lot of maintenance. If any version of this car gets to 300k miles thats a win in my book.
    That and there is a huge difference between someone who says "I can drive a stick" as opposed to someone that "can actually drive a stick". Lots of people think they can drive a manual transmission but I can tell you I've ridden with a few of them over the course of my lifetime. Excessive clutch slippage, excessive rpm's on takeoff, forcing shifts when cold etc.... In my Outlander Sport even though I switched to Redline75-80w when the engine / transmission is cold I don't rev it above 2500, slowly slowly shift or double clutch it until I get some decent operating temps. My last manual transmission vehicle I drove for over 200,000 miles and never had any clutch or gear issues so these premature failures are most likely due to abuse.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Fummins (02-23-2021),MetroMPG (02-22-2021)

I can understand bad drivers murdering clutches and wearing out synchros.

But I'm thinking they wouldn't advertise a car that needs a clutch as needing a "transmission replacement" like the white car in post#1. Unless they're completely clueless (but anything's possible, I suppose).

Out of curiosity, I'm going to ask if they know what's specifically wrong with it. When I asked the sellers of the blue car, they couldn't tell me. They were just going by generalities from their mechanic.

I messaged the white car seller. Will report back.

And now I'm wondering if it's the same car that was for sale a few months back... same year, trim, general location & the high odometer reading is in the right ballpark.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicPunk
    The cost of this car new and used likely puts it in the hands of some inexperienced drivers
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik
    huge difference between someone who says "I can drive a stick" as opposed to someone that "can actually drive a stick"
    After my first 5000 miles I felt I was pretty confident driving manual, sure the occasional stall still happened but not anything constituting transmission abuse after 5000. I maybe had another 5000 miles of experience driving automatic beforehand. Not to mention I learned on a car that had a dead cylinder out of a total of 3.

Hard to imagine a brand new transmission acquiring a fatal level of wear even from someone brand new to clutch and shifter driving learning in it.

Funny this should come up, just wednesday morning I had my clutch cable in my sedan go "twang!" as I took it out of gear approaching a red light. Didn't totally snap but frayed now for sure. I'll keep my spare and tools with me in case it forces its replacement, but don't want to mess with it until spring.

White car - it's synchros:

Yeah the second gear doesn’t work. It blocks when shifting gears and the synchros needs to be changed. You can still drive in first third fourth and fifth gear.