Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stock Wheels

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Stock Wheels

How durable are the stock wheels truly on the Mirages? I read a few posts from various sites with owners saying they are very delicate. That any little bump will cause it to bend or get damaged. Curious because if that's the case as soon as possible I will get the tires and wheels changed.

* KMB *

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 79.1 mpg (US) ... 33.6 km/L ... 3.0 L/100 km ... 95.0 mpg (Imp)

Aluminum seem fine, Steel.......Normal bumps are no problem, giant craters, not so much.

Tiny thin wheels and tiny tires with thin sidewalls don't like potholes.

If you do bend a wheel they can usually be straightened out with a hammer, and if done good enough don't need rebalancing.
    Hubcaps like to take off when hitting potholes too, I've been using a ziptie to hold them in place for years.

I wouldn't go out and replace your wheels out of fear of bending the stock ones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thank you

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2022 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 79.1 mpg (US) ... 33.6 km/L ... 3.0 L/100 km ... 95.0 mpg (Imp)

If you haven't, look at my lubetube and see where I took my car. That should ease your mind.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

inuvik (03-12-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    If you haven't, look at my lubetube and see where I took my car. That should ease your mind.
    Yes and no... you were going slow. Going 130 kph underinflated and blasting potholes is more deadlier to our pot metal wheels...
    Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Basic For This Useful Post:

Fummins (03-12-2024)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The roads here in Western WA are getting really bad. My town has spent $0 improving the roads over the last decade. Lots of massives holes and cracks everywhere. I hit a fair amount of holes that sounded expensive but every time I checked the tires and wheel they were fine. No reported issues after the alignment too.

Keep in mind these are the steelies. Lightweight alloys would probably be broken.
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

Quote Originally Posted by Basic View Post
    Yes and no... you were going slow. Going 130 kph underinflated and blasting potholes is more deadlier to our pot metal wheels...
    Good point. I'll strap a gopro to one of the fleet cars and report back lol

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,392 Times in 1,009 Posts
    I still need to get a picture of the Blueberry acting tough on it's new black painted wheels. It really does have attitude. Kind of like one of those little ankle nipping hampster dogs who acts like they're a real badass ... when they're on the other side of a fence!

May have to get a picture of it tonight ... for TheProfessor. So he can see just how badass the 14" wheels are!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    STEEL Vs. ALLOY WHEELS Which One Is Stronger? Hydraulic Press Test!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liJSPe6vMgI

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

BigMW (03-13-2024)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Hubcaps like to take off when hitting potholes too, I've been using a ziptie to hold them in place for years.
    I just took the snow tires off the front of my Mirage today. I've never done that so early before, but it's been exceptionally warm this winter. It was in the 70s today. We could surely get some more snow storms, but I will leave the snow tires on my Forester for another month or so.

One of my factory wheel covers shattered on the inside when I went to put it on today. It had been partly broken for quite some time. I got 3 free spare wheel covers from someone quite some time ago. I just realized they are 2014-15 wheel covers. They look close enough to me. I had to stare at it for a bit to determine what's different here?

Thus, I currently have three 2017+ wheel covers and three 2014-15 wheel covers. If I cared more, I would match one side with one pair & the other side with a different pair. They cover the dirty, rusty rims, and that's all I care about.

I noticed the 2014-15 wheel cover didn't fit as tight. It took very little effort to tap them in. I could instantly tell something was different. My 2017 factory wheel covers pound in much harder, & that's probably why they are breaking inside, too.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Top_Fuel (03-13-2024)