Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Few questions from a soon to be owner :D

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Few questions from a soon to be owner :D

Hey guys! I've got a couple of questions if anyone could help me out. I currently drive stick, but I'm interested in the CVT so the girlfriend could drive if she decides to get her license in the next few years. Do the CVT drivers enjoy it? Any pros/cons to owning a CVT over a 5 speed? I've seen a few people making modifications to their cars Has anyone found a K&N filter that fits a 2014 Mirage? Anyone know when the 2015's will be out? And I'm looking to pay cash for the car, but since it's borrowed I'm still looking to save as much as I can. Any tips on working with dealers for a cash purchase? Any replies are appreciated. Looking forward to posting pics of my new car within the next couple of weeks

EDIT: Oh! And we live in a very hilly area.... Like driving up steep inclines for 10-15 minutes at a time hilly How does the Mirage handle hills?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

Do the CVT drivers enjoy it? Any pros/cons to owning a CVT over a 5 speed?
    I enjoyed the CVT more than I thought I would when I compared both the manual & CVT. One nice thing about it is the car tries very hard to keep RPM low under light/moderate load, which means a surprisingly relaxed/quiet engine at moderate speeds. On the other hand, when you floor it to accelerate hard or climb a steep hill, the engine moves up to its power peak and sits there droning away until you back off. Some people find it too loud/annoying.

Personally, I'd only choose the manual - it makes the car far more enjoyable to drive, and the fuel economy can be better than the CVT in the hands of a motivated driver, despite the published ratings.

Also, there's no easier clutch to use than the Mirage's. It's super light (the lightest I've ever tried) and forgiving.

Anyone know when the 2015's will be out?
    They're out now. I've started seeing ads for them ... at U.S. dealerships anyway.

EDIT: Oh! And we live in a very hilly area.... Like driving up steep inclines for 10-15 minutes at a time hilly How does the Mirage handle hills?
    It's got 74 hp, so you're going to notice it's no rocketship up hill. The CVT will "drone" more than the manual on those uphills.

Have you tried both transmissions?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Back-space (07-28-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Thanks! I haven't tried either, actually :s Or not in a Mirage, anyway. I've done a lot of reading up on the car, and like it despite seeing all of the pitiful reviews Still sounds like a Cadillac compared to what I'm driving now. Hoping to get a day off a few days into August and be able to get down to the closest dealer(2.5 hours away) and give the Mirage a test drive/talk some numbers

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 52.3 mpg (US) ... 22.2 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 62.8 mpg (Imp)

No problem! For a small car it's also got a surprisingly smooth ride, and you can steer with your pinky finger... 2 more Cadillac features.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Can't wait to get over to test drive one of these

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I enjoy driving my CVT Mirage immensely. It handles hills just fine

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Honestly ... The cvt could definitely be better. If I didn't have a wife that doesn't drive stick, I would have bought the 5-speed. Its fine and is awesome for crusing, especially on the highway. Around town, it's kinda clunky feeling sometimes with an unexpected rough stop or start (probably the transmission going into "lo").

That said, I still love the car even with the CVT, it makes driving the car really carefree.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

welcome from bluejellybean :):)

test drove the stick and i really didnt care for it, it felt like you didnt have a cluth and the engine was louder.But when i test drove the CVT it was smooth and the engine was smoother.you just got to get use to it when you slow down.it goes up hill just fine.Keep us posted which one you get and the color.The DE is the cheepest.unless you get a good deal the ES would be a better way to go.CATCH THE MIRAGE FEVER
    Quote Originally Posted by Back-space View Post
    Hey guys! I've got a couple of questions if anyone could help me out. I currently drive stick, but I'm interested in the CVT so the girlfriend could drive if she decides to get her license in the next few years. Do the CVT drivers enjoy it? Any pros/cons to owning a CVT over a 5 speed? I've seen a few people making modifications to their cars Has anyone found a K&N filter that fits a 2014 Mirage? Anyone know when the 2015's will be out? And I'm looking to pay cash for the car, but since it's borrowed I'm still looking to save as much as I can. Any tips on working with dealers for a cash purchase? Any replies are appreciated. Looking forward to posting pics of my new car within the next couple of weeks

hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    We'll be taking both transmissions out for a spin. The girlfriend has made it clear that the new car is to have heated seats and A/C, so I guess we're getting for the SE Going over some of the threads and modifications some people have made. I like them Currently wondering if I could put green strobes in the fog lights And still wondering about a K&N air filter, but their site doesn't seem to have anything for a Mirage

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I personally would stop wondering about the K&N, but to each their own... I am not a product basher like many on other forums I frequent, but I will say that there is data out there that shows little to no gain on smaller, lower performance engines, as well as other potential issues. As always, it is a personal preference, and regardless of your choice on that matter, I think you, like the rest of us here will love your Mirage. Mine is a 5MT, and I AVERAGE more than the car is rated for HWY. Cheers.

Resident Tire Engineer

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 44.4 mpg (US) ... 18.9 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.3 mpg (Imp)