Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: clunk noise - cvt

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

clunk noise - cvt

Probably a normal thing, just noticed it tonight when I was just about to stop, had to take off again and sounded like a little clunk from the trans. Did it again at the next stop sign then didn't do it again. Anyone experience this? Kind of like a clunk because I didn't come to a complete stop before taking off again.

Just a guess, but it sounds like maybe it's just going into neutral (Idle Neutral Logic) as you're stopping, but when you hit the gas and take off again it shifts back into drive.

Thread: CVT owners... what is "Idle Neutral Logic"? And what is it like to drive?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have to agree with Metro. The mirage isn't quite as refined as it's supposed to be, but it works.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've heard it too coming from my CVT. It's normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Same here. Sometimes there is a bump from stop, I figured it was transmission engaging from neutral.

I wonder if there is the potential for future software/firmware updates from Mitsubishi to smooth out the transmission.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    The CVT has an engine braking mode. When we brake, the trans stays somewhat engaged which causes drag on the driveline to help us stop.
    When we decide not to stop but gas it again instead, the driveline load instantly reverses. (Like switching from push to pull)
    This causes lash tolerance in driveline to "catch up" and gives us a little jolt due to the shock load.
    This, combined with the computer trying to guess where to put the belt for the new input creates a bit of a rough restart.
    Same thing happens with my ATV, it's a characteristic of engine brake capable CVT's
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    The CVT has an engine braking mode. When we brake, the trans stays somewhat engaged which causes drag on the driveline to help us stop.
    I think another reason why the tranny does that is to save fuel. IIRC, there is a fuel cutoff mechanism that activates when the car is in gear (CVT/5spd) and no accelerator is applied.

Which is why one has to gauge whether or not to neutral coast or coast in gear.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I think another reason why the tranny does that is to save fuel. IIRC, there is a fuel cutoff mechanism that activates when the car is in gear (CVT/5spd) and no accelerator is applied.

Which is why one has to gauge whether or not to neutral coast or coast in gear.
    IMHO engine braking fights against fuel saving as it eliminates coasting. Whether there be fuel cutoff or not, if it doesn't coast there are no free miles.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mine does the same thing. But noticed that if I slowly give it gas it don't do that as much.so if you give gas faster that's when you notice the clunk.
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by debburyl View Post
    Mine does the same thing. But noticed that if I slowly give it gas it don't do that as much.so if you give gas faster that's when you notice the clunk.
    Yes, that's what I did, took off faster than usual. Has not made the noise since.
    Thanks to all for the replies.