Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: How to start engine if keyless entry battery dies?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Philippines
    Country
    Philippines
    Posts
    5
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How to start engine if keyless entry battery dies?

    Another question by the way. I dont see any instruction on how to start your car if any case your keyless entry runs out of battery. Manual says to insert the key into this small pocket but i cant quite figure how exactly to insert the key. Im afraid i might break something.



  2. #2
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,599
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 98 Times in 71 Posts
    To unlock the car: go to passenger door and use the key that's inside the FOB.
    To start the car: insert the FOB into the FOB holder just above the twin cup holders.

    Its a rectangle/hole just big enough for the FOB.

  3. #3
    Carmageddon m4v3r1ck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    The Hague
    Country
    Netherlands
    Posts
    1,347
    Thanks
    74
    Thanked 94 Times in 75 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    To unlock the car: go to passenger door and use the key that's inside the FOB.
    To start the car: insert the FOB into the FOB holder just above the twin cup holders.

    Its a rectangle/hole just big enough for the FOB.
    Add: With the metal part of the key facing to the bottom, there's also a hole for the metal part and there's the contact switch <-- at least that's what they told me.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)


  4. #4
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,599
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 98 Times in 71 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Add: With the metal part of the key facing to the bottom, there's also a hole for the metal part and there's the contact switch <-- at least that's what they told me.
    No idea about the metal part and contact switch... I'll peek through the hole this afternoon.

  5. #5
    Phantasmagoria
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    178
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 31 Times in 25 Posts
    Hmmm, I don't think you need the metal key extended once you open the passenger door with it, you just need the key fob in the center console holder. I have to insert mine key side up because it's on a key ring with the remote start fob attached to it.

        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)


  6. #6
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,599
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 98 Times in 71 Posts
    That's what I thought too. There's absolutely no way the metal part is going to sit flush in there.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Colton, NY
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    39
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 35 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHoot View Post
    Hmmm, I don't think you need the metal key extended once you open the passenger door with it, you just need the key fob in the center console holder. I have to insert mine key side up because it's on a key ring with the remote start fob attached to it.
    I think I read both you and Ares have a remote start FOB. The remote start would still work even if the regular keyless FOB battery were kaput - correct? Slightly off-topic but what it the range of of the factory remote FOB? (50ft?)
    ~CrazyJerry

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Sydney
    Country
    Australia
    Posts
    602
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 98 Times in 73 Posts
    My FOB has a slide out key like a normal car, and it has the lock on the passenger door. Safety measure, and as above you just put the FOB into the holder above the cup holders and it will start like normal.

    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJerry View Post
    I think I read both you and Ares have a remote start FOB. The remote start would still work even if the regular keyless FOB battery were kaput - correct? Slightly off-topic but what it the range of of the factory remote FOB? (50ft?)
    ~CrazyJerry
    I can unlock and lock my car from a fair distance, not sure how far 50ft is.

  9. #9
    Senior Member Ares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Houston
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    1,599
    Thanks
    20
    Thanked 98 Times in 71 Posts
    Unfortunately, my lock/unlock distance isnt too far away - or it needs line of sight to be effective.

    The civic I drive could be behind walls at 50ft and still work; not quite so for the mirage.

  10. #10
    Administrator Daox's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Germantown, WI
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    3,149
    Thanks
    1,300
    Thanked 669 Times in 422 Posts
    Someone write a DIY with pics.


        __________________________________________

        click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 49.0 mpg (US) ... 20.8 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 58.8 mpg (Imp)


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •