Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: First Oil Change

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m4v3r1ck View Post
    Am still curious why european cars changes oil every 20.000 KM. Am dead serious! no kidding. There's that much difference in oil quality between Europe and US? I know there's huge difference in fuel quality, in europe the lowest octane you can get is 95 while the highest available (Germany) it's 102 octane. Maybe it has something to do with this? Higher octane burns cleaner? My Mirage rides on 98-equivalent (Shell V-power) and I feel the difference when I put a normal 95 octane fuel in it. Higher than V-power there's no noticeable difference.
    We actually use a different type of octane rating here its an average of ron and mon whereas europe usually uses RON theres a few pages about this and even a wiki on it. Take a gander. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Octane_rating

OOps noticed someone else already responded to this.

Last edited by Rkt Ship; 08-04-2014 at 11:07 AM. Reason: ding dong!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You have to get good data from Used Oil Analysis.

I have seen UOA data and pictures in the valve cover of the engine in my Focus when run 10,000 miles on a good synthetic. Looked brand new and the UOA said the additives was no where near used up. Some engines are easier on oil than others.

The 3000mile oil change was valid at one point in time ... 50 years ago. We had carburetors that would run pig rich all the time, engines that always ran cool, poor crankcase ventilation, low detergent oils, low end filtering technology, loose tolerances in manufacturing the engines.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to M-88 For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (08-06-2014)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M-88 View Post
    You have to get good data from Used Oil Analysis.

I have seen UOA data and pictures in the valve cover of the engine in my Focus when run 10,000 miles on a good synthetic. Looked brand new and the UOA said the additives was no where near used up. Some engines are easier on oil than others.

The 3000mile oil change was valid at one point in time ... 50 years ago. We had carburetors that would run pig rich all the time, engines that always ran cool, poor crankcase ventilation, low detergent oils, low end filtering technology, loose tolerances in manufacturing the engines.
    So it's indeed true that our engines and oil are nowadays very good engineered that it can easily reach 20k KM-ish without changing. It's also much better for the environtment if EVERYONE don't recycle their oil every 3k

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Don't forget about the warranty!

It requires 3750mi/3 month severe service oil changes ... at least in the u.S.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post

What are you talking about? On my oil change sticker, it's 5k 5 months.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post

It's every 6 months / 7500 miles unless "your vehicle is frequently driven under one or more of the following road conditions." I usually split the difference between normal and severe and have never had issues. The dealer will certainly offer more frequent services but their superfluous servicing isn't necessary for warranty coverage.

• Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    • Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    • Extensive idling and/or low speed operation
    • Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
    • Extended use of brakes while driving
    • Driving in sandy areas
    • More than 50 % operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 °F (32 °C)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    What are you talking about? On my oil change sticker, it's 5k 5 months.
    The manufacturer's owner's manual lists 3,750 mile oil changes for severe service.

Did the dealer put 5k on a sticker?

The manufacturer warranties the engine (not the dealer, unless you purchased a warranty from them), so I suggest going with what the manufacturer states.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    It's every 6 months / 7500 miles unless "your vehicle is frequently driven under one or more of the following road conditions." I usually split the difference between normal and severe and have never had issues. The dealer will certainly offer more frequent services but their superfluous servicing isn't necessary for warranty coverage.

• Driving on dusty, rough, muddy or salt-spread roads
    • Towing or police, taxi or commercial operation
    • Extensive idling and/or low speed operation
    • Repeated short-trip operation at freezing temperatures (engine not thoroughly warmed up)
    • Extended use of brakes while driving
    • Driving in sandy areas
    • More than 50 % operation in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 °F (32 °C)
    Yep ... I frequently operate it under those conditions (idling, low speed, short-trips, heavy city traffic, etc.) .. that's why I'll change at 3,750/3 ... not gonna give the mfg. any reason to deny any warranty claim.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm going to laugh the day mistsu denies your claim for another reason and have thrown away all that $.

While the manufacturer does, in fact honor or deny the claim, the dealership submits it... If the dealership tech is at fault, I don't care. That's what they (dealership) recommended. That's good enough for me.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Yeap yeap ... let's just we all stick to what dealer told u to do .... I'll stick to 20k oil changing anyway ... with my driving if i have to change oil every 4000 km, I will be changing oil every month!! F*K that! 12x a year is way too much!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)