Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint quality issues.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Unhappy Paint quality issues.

Here are some pics of two nasty stone chips on the hood of my Mirage. These are pretty fresh.
    The big chip presented quite small but when I inspected it I found a large circumference of unadhered paint which simply flaked off when touched. (You can see in the pic, top of chip has more lifted paint.) Oddly the open exposed part of the chip is rust free while area under unadhered paint shows rust.
    I'm a little concerned how this car's gonna look in a year or two if the paint comes off this easily.
    Is anyone else noticing any paint issues with their cars, is it maybe color specific??
    There is a $200.00 surcharge on my sales invoice for "premium paint". Wonder what that means?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/er757krdye...802_212943.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2uiu1i1ce...802_213117.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4hw3g0gff...802_213053.jpg

Last edited by IchabodCrane; 08-03-2014 at 02:02 AM. Reason: forgot pics.. Duh!
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    That's not looking good . Maybe you should send these pictures to Mitsubishi . They should cover it under warranty and even if not to make it right . Good luck and keep us updated .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with cinder. Straight to dealer or Mitsubishi.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    You paid premium when white is STD color? they screwed you...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's why you always have to check every number on the contract. Mine says nothing about painting, but it does charge about $200 for washing and waxing. I didn't reject such ripoff because it was almost done when I noticed it.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Here are some pics of two nasty stone chips on the hood of my Mirage. These are pretty fresh.
    The big chip presented quite small but when I inspected it I found a large circumference of unadhered paint which simply flaked off when touched. (You can see in the pic, top of chip has more lifted paint.) Oddly the open exposed part of the chip is rust free while area under unadhered paint shows rust.
    I'm a little concerned how this car's gonna look in a year or two if the paint comes off this easily.
    Is anyone else noticing any paint issues with their cars, is it maybe color specific??
    There is a $200.00 surcharge on my sales invoice for "premium paint". Wonder what that means?
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/er757krdye...802_212943.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/v2uiu1i1ce...802_213117.jpg
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/p4hw3g0gff...802_213053.jpg
    Geez - sorry to hear about this. I may be looking at the pics wrong - but it appears there are other blisters around the area. Is this what I am seeing? If they are, pop one with a pin and see if water comes out. That would explain the "immediate" rust after a stone chip. It's possible if you have these water blisters under the paint, that what we're seeing is not a stone chip but the heads of the blisters being pushed up till they crack and flake off. If this is the case, it should be covered since it is a paint defect.

~CrazyJerry

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyJerry View Post
    Geez - sorry to hear about this. I may be looking at the pics wrong - but it appears there are other blisters around the area. Is this what I am seeing? If they are, pop one with a pin and see if water comes out. That would explain the "immediate" rust after a stone chip. It's possible if you have these water blisters under the paint, that what we're seeing is not a stone chip but the heads of the blisters being pushed up till they crack and flake off. If this is the case, it should be covered since it is a paint defect.

~CrazyJerry
    I saw the ssme thing when I looked over my post.. I went back out and saw that these "blisters" are actually rain drops on the paint from a momentary weathet issue just before I took the pics. Sorry for the confusion.

Anyway... civic holiday tomorrow so will get dealer to check it Tues or Wed.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Anyway... civic holiday tomorrow so will get dealer to check it Tues or Wed.
    Best of luck, I hope that works out, 'cause that stinks. Keep us posted ;-)
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Easily covered by warranty. Should go smoothly.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    I have the hard teflon film on the paint option, i had a few stone chips but it's not going too deep. Am happy with the option.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)