Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Aftermarket sunroof installation on/in an ES?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Aftermarket sunroof installation on/in an ES?

Howdy: I'm considering the purchase of a Mirage ES but I have a question for all of you in the know: I want to have a power sunroof installed aftermarket, but I'm not sure. Why am I not sure you ask? I've had some naysayers react to my idea as being out of the question, for the roof will leak when it rains, snows, etc, among other so called "problems"...The power sunroof should be an option for the higher level Mirage from factory, but of course I'm dreaming. No such thing. Bummer. Any peeps have opinions or suggestions on the matter? I also will have a subwoofer installed for lower end sound. These are the two aftermarket items that I want done, but for now I need the 4-1-1 on the sunroof issue. Please inform.
    Many thanx...Peace...AladdinSane<-
    BTW: I'd go for the Plasma Purple exterior, no matter what others may say. My lady digs that shade too.

Welcome, AladdinSane!

I've seen that username in the comments of many Mirage reviews on the web & YouTube. Good to have you here.

for the roof will leak when it rains, snows, etc, among other so called "problems"
    I've had aftermarket sunroofs in several cars and none of them leaked. I've had factory roofs leak (blocked drainage channels).

If you can find someone to do it, I'd go for it. I like them a lot, myself.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Too bad the old cloth sunroofs that were used in European cars during the 50's and 60's have seemingly disappeared. They would be a cheaper alternative than metal, powered sunroofs of today. Also they never needed repair because they had no motor. The old folding sunroofs would be more in keeping with the austere nature of the Mirage and much cheaper. I was in the FIAT showroom the other day and the 500 convertible has a sliding cloth top not unlike the old style sunroofs.

Agreed - a sliding cloth top would be excellent.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Webasto is still in business.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Did you want like a motorized moonroof that slides in and out, or a manual one that just pops up with the unclipping of a lever?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I actually have one of these and am still waffling on installing it in my Mirage:
    http://www.sunroofsource.com/35-x-55...g-sunroof-kit/

Wow! I didn't know you could get those aftermarket.

Name:  sunroof_source_sliding_ragtop_35x55__88755.1277758259.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  31.9 KB

What are you saving it for?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Has anyone thought about structural rigidity? The mirage's body already flexes with the roof on, I don't think removing more metal would help any.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    Has anyone thought about structural rigidity? The mirage's body already flexes with the roof on, I don't think removing more metal would help any.
    I dont think the roof is anything more than a piece of sheet metal. When I was at the car wash the roof sounded like it was caving in. The supports on the roof are very little.

I dont think youd be able to mount a sunroof without adding some major structural braces