Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MDC POWER GERMANY makes the mirage engine?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

MDC POWER GERMANY makes the mirage engine?

I think thats what wiki say. Anyone know anything about this company? thanks

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kalifornia View Post
    I think thats what wiki say. Anyone know anything about this company? thanks
    That's cool. All I could find is that it is owned by the Daimler-Chrysler group and that they also make a 2.0 AMG engine that goes in a Mercedes. Lofty pedigree!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Hmm... Wiki says MDC used to have a relationship with Mitsu, saying it was "previously a joint venture." That implies it's not currently a joint venture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_3A9_engine

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I understand it to mean MDC "was" a joint venture with "chrysler". The only company I can find that has anything to do with the 3A engine was and is MDC. I havent found anything stating mitsu or anyone else is making the engine. Im just trying to find out who makes it and what kind of track record do they have. MDC was only founded 10 years ago. but most of the info online is in german. Maybe a german speaking member can do some reading for us.
    Last edited by kalifornia; 06-15-2013 at 03:15 PM.

I havent found anything stating mitsu or anyone else is making the engine.
    There's a reference in this article that the company (Mitsu) is considering producing 1.0 and 1.2L (3A) engines in Indonesia, which would qualify it for incentives/concessions as part of a "Low-Cost Green Car" assembly program there, which implies Mitsu handles engine assembly:

Mirage being considered for assembly in Indonesia

Of course, that doesn't rule out that someone else is producing the engines that are going in the Thai built Mirages.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

I understand it to mean MDC "was" a joint venture with "chrysler"
    Well you're right of course that Daimler and Chrysler are no longer together.

But regarding the MDC / Mitsu collaboration, the 4A9 wikipedia page seems to be a bit less ambiguous and suggests the venture between those two is also kaput:

The engine project was begun as a joint effort by Mitsubishi Motors and DaimlerChrysler (DCX), with Mitsubishi handling the development of the engines and MDC Power GmbH, a company previously jointly established by Mitsubishi and DCX, handling production.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_4A9_engine

The MDC website "products" page lists engines in production, but doesn't mention the 3A9x series (or even Mitsubishi as a customer, for that matter): http://www.mdc-power.com/en/products/

I keep coming across engine production-related tidbits...

Mitsubishi's factories at the Leam Chabang Industrial Estate in Thailand (where Mitsu manufactures the Mirage for global export) includes an engine plant. From thread: Mitsu expanding Mirage production with Bt 1 billion investment in Thailand

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    thanks metro

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    There's a reference in this article that the company (Mitsu) is considering producing 1.0 and 1.2L (3A) engines in Indonesia, which would qualify it for incentives/concessions as part of a "Low-Cost Green Car" assembly program there, which implies Mitsu handles engine assembly:

Mirage being considered for assembly in Indonesia

Of course, that doesn't rule out that someone else is producing the engines that are going in the Thai built Mirages.
    I don't think this will actually done by KTB. Since they closed down the factory for passenger car several years back. They only manufacturing commercial vehicle (mini truck, truck and big mf truck).

Btw, sorry for making a zombie thread.
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

No apology necessary!

If anyone ever has new info to add to an old thread, GO FOR IT!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

satria_wr (10-12-2014)