Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Mirage G4 Stuck in park

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

2017 Mirage G4 Stuck in park

I have a Mitsubishi Mirage G4 that is stuck in park and will not engage into any other gear. I want to clarify that the shifter lever will shift and operate normally and without any problems into other gears, but the car acts as though it's in park still. Even the dashboard indicator says it's in "P" also. It revs and sounds normal when I push on the gas why I shift the lever into each gear, but that's all it does. There are no warning or check engine lights on. Nothing that stands out as there's a problem. It's a newer car to us. Straight from dealership (no not under warranty). The car sounds and acts normal, nothing out of the ordinarry.

I have done the following to no avail:
    -Checked the transmission fluid. I'm do not know much about automotives, but I think the transmission fluid is supposed to be redish. The fluid in our car appears to be almost transparent but has a hint of grey streaks in it. Unsure if that's normal or not. I've read that my type of car will not be the typical redish color or common type of transmission fluid. If someone can give me some insight on that, it'll be much appreciated.
    -Unplugged the battery and left it unplugged for about 15 min and then reconnected
    -Rocked the car back and forth while it's in park hoping that maybe it was just "stuck" in a gear or something
    -With car turned on, swtiched between each gear for couple seconds, moved stearing wheel around, brakes on and off.
    -Took the small cap off that's located next to the shifting lever, used a screwdriver to press down on some button inside the hole which supposedly is supposed to allow you to manually shift and put the car into gear such as neutral, while car was off, shifted it into neutral while pressing down on that button with a screwdriver, then rocked the car and tried to move it (unsuccessfully, acted like it's in park), shifted between different gears. Put back in park manually and turned the car on to see if that did anything, it did not. Still will not shift into any other gear.
    -Checked the cable in the engine compartment that I believe is for the gear shifting. Appears to be intact and ok.
    -Checked fuses, all appear fine.

None of these steps have done anything. In closing, this same occurance happened about a month ago and while the car was off and using a screwdriver to manually shift it into neutral, we were able to roll the car like it was in neutral. And then put it back in park and turned it on and that worked and did the trick. The car operated normally all the way up until now. But doing that same thing is not doing anything this time around.

Any help or suggestions would be great if anyone has any. I am not mechanically inclined or smart when it comes to mechanics and vehicles. I know I need to, especially that I seem to always have bad luck with cars. I don't need to hear it.

Thank you for any advice or ideas before I fork out thousands for it to get towed and for a professional company to tinker around with it. Afraid it's something very small that I can just fix myself or that I didn't think of.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Need4Joe View Post
    Afraid it's something very small that I can just fix myself or that I didn't think of.
    I'm betting you're right about that. The guy that needs to pipe up is Fummins. Local expert up in here. Does surgery on Mirages daily.

I'm going to bet it is 1 of 2 things. Maybe the cable has come loose from the shifter, hidden inside the floor console. I was thinking that, but when you mentioned the similar thing that happened a month ago, that idea doesn't seem to hold water. That leaves me with the one idea. Something inside the transmission is just not cooperating. That would be bad.

How many miles are on the car, and when is the last time the transmission fluid was serviced? Go ahead and post that so someone with a brain (like Fummins) will have a bit more info to go off of.

Sorry to hear about this. Hopefully, it is not an expensive solution.

7milesout

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

I'm with 7miles, it sounds like your shifter isn't connected to the transmission. Have someone shift it while you watch the cable at the transmission. Or put park brake on and record it yourself, if the cluster doesn't change from park(P) then it's not moving the lever on the transmission. The neutral(PRNDSL) switch is right at the top where the cable hooks up.
    It'd be easy to figure out quickly in person. Explaining stuff this way is a pita.
    The fluid can be clearish with a green tinge to brown. Not red. It's irrelevant, that's not your problem.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,390 Times in 1,008 Posts
    Quick note of interest Fummins: The old school PRNDL, or PRND321, however it is, either on the column or illuminated on the dash (and I suppose an LCD display too that changes the display from P to R to N to etc, in automotive industry is referred to as the: Prindle. That's how it's pronounced in the OEM engineering side anyway ... prindle. It means just as I said, the area or item that displays the selected transmission position.

Quiz: What is it called? If you said, "Prindle," you get an A!

I'm so stoopid.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.6 L/100 km ... 50.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Found the problem an hour ago. Once again I'm not good at mechanics. But I undone a nut that was connected to some gear shifter cable in the engine compartment to undo that cable from some housing thing which I'm assuming is what shifts gears. Once I unfastened that and had a friend watch it while I shifted it started moving. We manually pushed the house rod thing up a couple notches and it put it into what I believe is neutral. Pushed it towards the front of the car one notch and it put it in reverse. Sooo. I'm guessing I need a new cable? Anyone know what the name of that cable is or part so I can order it? I'm being told by autoparts store that I need to order it from ebay or dealership. That most autoparts stores don't carry that part. Thanks for all your guys help and suggestions.

You lost me lol
    You un-bolted the cable from the transmission and got it to shift manually @ the transmission? I would expect that to make the car move. Now what's your problem? Is the cable broken or did it come unhooked at the shifter inside the car?

Next move is remove the center console and take a look. It's easy(ish). At the very rear of the console, lift the access panel up and you'll see a 10mm bolt(remove it). LIft the e-brake lever. There's another panel below it maybe 4x6". It lifts up and there's another 10mm bolt under there. At the front outboard sides of the console(there is a clip on each side) push the center of the clip in a little bit til it clicks, then the clip should pop out. Lift console up at the back and it should come right out giving you access to your shifter so you can see wth is going on. Shifter is broke or cable? I haven't seen either break before.

If you already did that, then ignore the above...

A napa type place won't have that cable(if that's what you actually need). You'd have to find one at a pick and pull wrecker, full serve auto wrecker(if you can find someone willing to remove one), ebay, or worst case, the dealer.
    If your shifter assembly is screwed you'll probably want to look for one from a 2017 or newer as the older 14 and 15's didnt come with the super race car "sport" position.
    Last edited by Fummins; 10-21-2022 at 08:07 PM.
    Mirage videos:

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

Need4Joe (10-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Yes. It moved alright. I had to quickly move it back to put it back into park. Some mechanism that the cable was connected to. I unbolted that. And then I manually moved that mechanism backwards. And it clicked and went into reverse. Quickly moved it back into what I assumed was park. Then pushed it back again two notches into what I believe is neutral. The car didn't move. On level ground. But I could push it like it's in neutral. So I'm guessing that housing mechanism is what shifts the car into gear and the cable is what pushes/pulls it into the gears. It must not have enough pressure or similar and that's why it doesn't shift. That's my best guess. So from what I've read on the internet, I need a new cable.
    I'll have to look into removing the center console piece as you described. What I can tell you is, once I disconnected the cable from that mechanism (gear shifting part) the cable/rod moves back and forth as someone shifts the shifting lever. If that makes sense. I'll have my friend shift into reverse and that cable/rod will move back. Same thing if he puts the lever into park, it moves it forward. So, I'm unsure if it's something under the console piece as you described or if it's just that cable/rod that needs replaced. Why I'm on here looking for answers. But in the meantime, tomorrow I'll see if I can get that center part removed and take a look at what's going on there.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Need4Joe For This Useful Post:

Fummins (10-21-2022)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    You lost me lol
    You un-bolted the cable from the transmission and got it to shift manually @ the transmission? I would expect that to make the car move. Now what's your problem? Is the cable broken or did it come unhooked at the shifter inside the car?

Next move is remove the center console and take a look. It's easy(ish). At the very rear of the console, lift the access panel up and you'll see a 10mm bolt(remove it). LIft the e-brake lever. There's another panel below it maybe 4x6". It lifts up and there's another 10mm bolt under there. At the front outboard sides of the console(there is a clip on each side) push the center of the clip in a little bit til it clicks, then the clip should pop out. Lift console up at the back and it should come right out giving you access to your shifter so you can see wth is going on. Shifter is broke or cable? I haven't seen either break before.
    Yes, you are correct by the way. Sorry for not saying that. It does move when I pushed the lever/housing/mechanism, whatever it is forward and backwards. It made the car go into a particular gear depending on how many clicks I push it forward or backward.

Gotcha. Hopefully the cable just came unhooked at the shifter? I haven't seen a cable break before, they're pretty solid. Won't know til you tear into it further. Worst case it'll take two people to drive your car around until you get it fixed. Or rely heavily on your parking brake...(don't do that).
    Mirage videos:

I forgot to add, if you have push button start you may have wires to unplug at the front of your console? We don't have such fancy things on the fleet cars.

Mirage videos: