Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Difficulty shifting into reverse - manual transmission

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Interesting. I had zero shifting-into-reverse problems with the manual Mirage I drove for 2 weeks.

But I always do: neutral, declutch, then shift to first before reverse. It's a habit I picked up years ago to avoid this type of problem. I don't even do it consciously any more.
    I am in the habit of shifting into 1st also before I do reverse...I have never had any grinding issues, it has always been smooth for me...I think this is key and I encourage everyone with a manual to go from 1st to reverse. I believe this will solve the problems people have been having.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Get the 5MT! Did you drive it? Lightest, easiest to use clutch ever. Makes my Metro/Firefly's clutch feel like a dump truck's by comparison.
    I live in a city that has a stop light every 10 feet (not too far from reality). Manuals, even smooth ones, get old quickly here.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my Yaris, sometimes it does not want to go in, even with shifting to a forward gear/waiting a few seconds.

In that case, I just shift to 1st, quickly let the clutch out a smidge to nudge the car forward just a hair -- that will realign whatever isn't meshed up correctly and it will then usually slide right into reverse.

TripleDiamondPerformance Nick@TDP's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Every Mitsubishi manual trans has this quirk. Even their high dollar Getrag built 5 and 6 speed trannies need to go into 1st before reverse. It's normal operation. Don't force it and grind reverse though, it will destroy the trans eventually.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick@TDP View Post
    Every Mitsubishi manual trans has this quirk. Even their high dollar Getrag built 5 and 6 speed trannies need to go into 1st before reverse. It's normal operation. Don't force it and grind reverse though, it will destroy the trans eventually.
    I never had this issue in my 8

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    In my Evo X 1st and 3rd gear are synchromeshed to make reverse, so many times it will not want to go into reverse or will take a few tries.

My mirage has the same problem, sometimes reverse gear will not engage even after many tries. My guess is the transmission has a similar synchro for reverse.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    In my Yaris, sometimes it does not want to go in, even with shifting to a forward gear/waiting a few seconds.

In that case, I just shift to 1st, quickly let the clutch out a smidge to nudge the car forward just a hair -- that will realign whatever isn't meshed up correctly and it will then usually slide right into reverse.
    i was thinking about my yaris while i read this thread. it does the same thing. i always shift into first and them ram it into reverse full force. my yaris is a beater though so i can get away with it.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wonder if Redline synthetic gear oil could help with the shifting . I used Redline MT90 ( 75w-90 , GL-4 ) for an '08 Yaris with the 5 speed manual . It made for easier shifts ( not notchy / no grind ) and no more thunk into reverse . Especially for those cold days . Takes a little time for it to get the full benefit . The Mirage takes MTL ( 75w-80 , GL-4 ) . Can be bought for less than $17 a quart . Well worth the money . The Redline is said to be a true synthetic . The 5 speed manual I test drove had smooth engagement for the clutch and stick .

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    it's interesting that so many yaris owners are attracted to the mirage forum. i guess some of us think alike.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I've noticed this in my 95 Tacoma, it has no synchromesh for reverse so as the gear oil ages double-clutching is needed more often.I change the gear oil every few years & last time was with synthetic as the diffs were done as well because Red-Line oil went on sale online...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES Plus 1.2 automatic: 37.9 mpg (US) ... 16.1 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.6 mpg (Imp)