Thread: Psudo DRLs (daytime running lights)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Pseudo DRLs (daytime running lights)

My Mirage didn’t come with running lights and I had been driving with the parking lights to enhance safety. The front parking lights are not very bright and hardly showed during the day. The front parking light uses a 5 watt type 194 bulb, about 25 lumens. I looked around and found some LED bulbs that are a lot brighter. I choose some that are rated at 175 lumens and were about $10 each. Simply removed the old bulb and inserted the new bulb as shown in the oweners manual.

There were others LEDs still brighter but over double that price. Mine are not as bright as true running lights but still give a lot more visability than the standard bulb. Pictures taken on a cloudy evening with cell phone. They don’t look this bright at high noon.

I got the bulbs online at http://www.superbrightleds.com and there are other sources online. I have no connection with the company other than this transaction.

Attached Images Attached Images     
    Last edited by DemiRage; 08-24-2014 at 12:20 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DemiRage For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (04-23-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'd have liked this feature. It's safer and almost all insurance companies will give you a discount for DRLs.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Mums the word. If the insurance company hears it was me messing with the car they'll probably raise the rates.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Most agents will just add the discount without bothering to check if the feature comes from the factory.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 37.6 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.3 L/100 km ... 45.2 mpg (Imp)