Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Australian Recall - Mirages manufactured prior to 26th Jan 2013 (wheel speed sensors)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks

Australian Recall - Mirages manufactured prior to 26th Jan 2013 (wheel speed sensors)

Hi guys, just a heads up to let you know that I just received a recall notification on my 2013 Mirage. The problem is listed as:

Description of Problem
    Mitsubishi Motors Corporation has identified a condition that affects the front wheel speed sensors fitted to the Mirage vehicles.
    Insufficient water proofing of the sensor harness may allow moisture to penetrate the sensor resulting in abnormal output signal.
    This can result in ABS warning lamp illumination, speedometer needle deflection, ABS and TCL false activation and in worse case scenario, the braking force could reduce and/or the steering contorl could become unstable at the time of sudden braking from high speed.
    Admins, feel free to move this where you think most suitable. I am not overly stressed as I will just get it fixed at the dealer. If this has already been pointed out, feel free to delete.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Be interesting to see if this problem shows up in other markets or is just on Australian spec cars.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    And why issue a recall when your dealers don't have the parts ... booked in for whenever the parts come in!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage LS (Australia) 1.2 automatic: 34.8 mpg (US) ... 14.8 km/L ... 6.8 L/100 km ... 41.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I think the company is forced by the government to issue recalls that concern possible safety problems. That might be why the don't have the parts yet.

Here's a question: surely the car has ABS / wheel sensors in other markets that use this common part.

I wonder if there will be recalls in the Philippines, Malaysia, Thailand? Arguably wetter climates too which may create more of a problem.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I assume it always takes a while for people to get in and get stuff repaired anyways. Unless its a horrible safety recall, what is the rush? Of the few recalls I've had on a few of my cars, I've never even bothered to take them in...
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    As the car is under warranty and, they stated in the letter, not doing the recall could affect the warranty and it is not costing me anything I don't see why I wouldn't. Based on their description of the possible issues: "This can result in ABS warning lamp illumination, speedometer needle deflection, ABS and TCL false activation and in worse case scenario, the braking force could reduce and/or the steering contorl could become unstable at the time of sudden braking from high speed." I consider it reasonably serious as well.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AntInOz For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-28-2013)

Quote Originally Posted by jamiec View Post
    Be interesting to see if this problem shows up in other markets or is just on Australian spec cars.
    Recall issued in Malaysia. They're calling it a wheel speed sensor replacement, not a harness issue.

My guess is it's the same issue, though.

Malaysian Mirage recall: wheel speed sensors

This would never happen with my 1.0L Suzuki-designed car. No ABS/traction control, therefore no wheel speed sensors!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks
    Recall also issued in the Philippines: http://www.mmpc.ph/latestnews/mmpc-m...-campaign.html

Excerpt:
    Mitsubishi Motors Philippines Corporation (MMPC) has recently announced to the Department of Trade and Industry (DTI) that it will conduct a safety recall of the Mitsubishi Mirage GLS models equipped with Antilock Brake System both for manual and automatic transmission variants.

The purpose of this safety recall is to replace the front wheel speed sensors. These sensors were found to have insufficient waterproofing if penetrated by water from rain and/or during carwash may cause the ABS system not to function correctly. The replacement procedure is estimated to take an hour and is free of charge. Coverage of this safety recall are units sold from November 2012 to March 2013.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2012 Mirage GLS 1.2 automatic: 37.0 mpg (US) ... 15.7 km/L ... 6.4 L/100 km ... 44.4 mpg (Imp)

And Indonesia too. Looks like all markets.