Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I agree with those who said the car has enough power to get a load up to speed. I wouldn't be terribly concerned about the brakes, either. My worry would be trying to brake while in any sort of curve and the traction/handling issues. Part of the beauty of the Mirage is that they stripped away most of the excess weight, but that doesn't leave a huge margin of extra capacity either.

My bicycle can tow a trailer or a canoe, but it does handle differently and I wouldn't want to find myself trying to handle that load going down a mountain.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by torrentperformance View Post
    Yeah I threw a probably 350-400 pound engine in the back of my mirage last weekend and I got to say my car will never tow a trailer. I couldn't believe the understeer and the strain it put on the cars rear suspension
    It probably would have been safer to tow that engine on a 250 lb trailer. Assume 600 lbs total and 10% tongue weight and you've got only 60 lbs compression on the rear suspension instead of 350-400!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    It probably would have been safer to tow that engine on a 250 lb trailer. Assume 600 lbs total and 10% tongue weight and you've got only 60 lbs compression on the rear suspension instead of 350-400!
    I totally agree... I will be using my hitch for a bike rack, hold down points for the canoe, towing a small 4x8 folding trailer, and towing the tow dolly that it is towed with behind the RV. All which are easily handled by a Mirage on an occasional basis.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I do not however recommend his scenario...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  64.2 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 44.3 mpg (US) ... 18.8 km/L ... 5.3 L/100 km ... 53.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    The effect of putting a 400 pound engine on the rear suspension has is equivalent of the tongue weight of towing a properly loaded 4000 pound trailer ...

Country
    Indonesia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
    I do not however recommend his scenario...

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  64.2 KB
    2013 Honda Vario CBS VB
    2014 Mitsubishi Mirage CVT EGM
    2015 Toyota Innova 2.5V AT SMM
    2013 Proton Preve CFE CVT PW
    2013 Mitsubishi Outlander Sport PX CVT PW
    2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport Dakar AT TGM Limited

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage Exceed 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I am considering buying a Mirage and putting a hitch on it to tow a small "camping/canoe" trailer. We go camping a lot so I built an "explorer box" designed by compact camping concepts (see link). It weights 563 lbs fully loaded (took it to certified semi truck scale). I have recently bought a trailer brake system to put on the trailer with the plan of buying a sub compact car. If I decided to get the mirage, then I'll post an update on how well it tows the explorer box.

http://compactcampingconcepts.com/

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DougFam View Post
    I am considering buying a Mirage and putting a hitch on it to tow a small "camping/canoe" trailer. We go camping a lot so I built an "explorer box" designed by compact camping concepts (see link). It weights 563 lbs fully loaded (took it to certified semi truck scale). I have recently bought a trailer brake system to put on the trailer with the plan of buying a sub compact car. If I decided to get the mirage, then I'll post an update on how well it tows the explorer box.

http://compactcampingconcepts.com/
    Hope you get one soon!!! We love ours. I also have a small kayak trailer that holds 4 boats. I do not know how much it weighs, but it's pretty heavy. Hope to hear from someone who has a lightweight trailer and see how well it tows before I take the step and buy the hitch and most build a super lightweight trailer to tow the kayaks. I too came from a minivan that got less than 20mpg and am loving the steady 47 mpg my Mirage gets. Good luck on making your decision!!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    Hope you get one soon!!! We love ours. I also have a small kayak trailer that holds 4 boats. I do not know how much it weighs, but it's pretty heavy. Hope to hear from someone who has a lightweight trailer and see how well it tows before I take the step and buy the hitch and most build a super lightweight trailer to tow the kayaks. I too came from a minivan that got less than 20mpg and am loving the steady 47 mpg my Mirage gets. Good luck on making your decision!!
    For those without the time or skill to build a super-light trailer, Yakima, the rack company, offers a series of "Rack and Roll" trailers that would likely be a good fit. They are made for lightweight recreational equipment like canoes/kayaks, bicycles, etc.

Looks like it weighs about 150lbs, can carry 250lbs, and costs $3000. Subtract that $3000 from your wallet for a net weight of only 149lbs!

http://www.yakima.com/shop/trailers/...k-and-roll-66/

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    The yakima trailers are pretty cool, but I would have a hard time paying $3k for one...