Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    The majority of the "weight" is on the axles of the trailer. The mass remains the same, 1400lbs.
    Yes, you're right, sorry. I mixed the terminology up. I was referring to the fact only 150lbs of
    weight resides on the trailer hitch in a neutral condition, not the entire weight of the trailer. You can
    walk up to practically any single axle trailer and pick up the tongue and walk it around the parking lot.
    It's not 'heavy'.

Under the context of your statement that the neutral mass of the trailer is scary, my
    point is that it isn't. If that were true, every time anyone towed anything it would be scary
    free floating mass. Which again, in an unbraked or overweighted system, can absolutely
    be disastrous.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlestan For This Useful Post:

laceygirl (09-03-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlestan View Post
    Yes, you're right, sorry. I mixed the terminology up. I was referring to the fact only 150lbs of
    weight resides on the trailer hitch in a neutral condition, not the entire weight of the trailer. You can
    walk up to practically any single axle trailer and pick up the tongue and walk it around the parking lot.
    It's not 'heavy'.

Under the context of your statement that the neutral mass of the trailer is scary, my
    point is that it isn't. If that were true, every time anyone towed anything it would be scary
    free floating mass. Which again, in an unbraked or overweighted system, can absolutely
    be disastrous.
    1400lbs of mass working against a vehicle that only weighs 1800lbs is not a recipe for success.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    1400lbs of mass working against a vehicle that only weighs 1800lbs is not a recipe for success.
    My model of Mirage (ES Plus) with undercoating and my weight included, is around 2100lbs. The absolute
    maximum weight of the trailer will be 1400lbs. That is 2/3's of the weight of the towing vehicle. Completely acceptable
    under the towing conditions I speculate.

At no point during a tow is the full 1400lbs of trailer exerted upon the Mirage, unless I'm driving unsafely or
    emergency steering occurs. Only fractional forces applied torsionally, due to the trailer brakes. Were I suggesting to tow
    1400lbs on a unmodified suspension with no brakes, all the cautionary hysteria given in this thread would be
    completely valid. But as nobody as of yet has even attempted these towing conditions with the Mirage (that I know of),
    and few valid points regarding safety have been brought forth, I'm still unconvinced it can't be done safely.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,827 Times in 2,132 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlestan View Post
    But as nobody as of yet has even attempted these towing conditions with the Mirage (that I know of), and few valid points regarding safety have been brought forth, I'm still unconvinced it can't be done safely.
    I believe there have been sufficient safety concerns provided for you here in this forum. I also think you have talked yourself into a corner with this and are openly trying to convince yourself of your rhetoric. Essentially, there is nothing any of us can do or say that will dissuade you.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Why don't you just use a car that is rated for towing?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Mileage Miser
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I believe there have been sufficient safety concerns provided for you here in this forum. I also think you have talked yourself into a corner with this and are openly trying to convince yourself of your rhetoric. Essentially, there is nothing any of us can do or say that will dissuade you.
    Since when is having an open ended debate about the possibility of towing with the Mirage under specific
    conditions 'talking myself into a corner?'

Let me re-clarify since the first time didn't have much effect; I'm not attempting to convince, dissuade or otherwise
    sway others opinions on the matter. I AM trying to get as much information from both sides out there so that it can be
    analyzed and picked apart by the collective minds of this forum. Which is why I talked to two other people regarding the feasability of this.

Which is why I'll be going down to the insurance office to clarify legality. Which is why I continue to post on here
    rather than just saying, 'I think I'm right and you're all wrong'.

Whatever it is about me saying it might be possible that bothers you is your issue. Give me something
    concrete to work with if you have it. Here's the few valid points so far:

- Legality may be an issue
    - Panic braking may be unsafe

Noone here has produced any other evidence contrary to my suggestion that 1400lbs of braked trailer
    being towed by a 2100lb. modified suspension Mirage might be unsafe.

Simply stating 'don't do it', or 'everyone will die' is NOT sufficient evidence.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Littlestan For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey, best wishes man. Just let us all know when you plan on conducting your experiment.

What's the worst that could happen?

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

inuvik (09-04-2015),Littlestan (09-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,570 Times in 1,124 Posts
    These are the numerous reasons why I think towing with the Mirage is sketchy at best.
    1: The Mirage has a very soft suspension with minimal dampening and rebound control from the stock Tokico's. Not safe for towing.

2: The Mirage has narrow rims with stock tires that have paper thin sidewalls. Not safe for towing.

3: The Mirage has a very short wheelbase. Not safe for towing.

4: The Mirage has marginal brakes that are adequate up to it's GVWR. Definitely not beyond. Not safe for towing.

5: The Mirage only has 74 hp. Not safe for towing due to lack of power to pull itself out of a unsafe situation.

6: You can reduce the tongue weight but you can't eliminate the mass of the trailer. Trailer sway would be a huge problem. Not safe for towing.

There are more reasons but at least for me any one of these would cause me to say no.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

m4v3r1ck (09-04-2015)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    All this about towing, why not call Mitsubishi and put an end to this endless rhetoric. Or better yet go ahead and pull your trailer and be done with it.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to cchataway For This Useful Post:

Eggman (09-06-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Guys, let's not let emotion get the best of us.

Here is something that has not been brought up yet. The trailer hitch.

1. How is this trailer hitch bolted to the car?

2. What class of hitch is available?

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Littlestan (09-04-2015)