Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Cant i tow with a mirage

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks

Why Cant i tow with a mirage

I see there is a towing kit from curt for my mirage why is my manual stating not to tow anything.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Probably because it is not designed for towing, and the addition of a towbar will compromise the crash safety. Plus, what would you be able to tow? My trailer weighs more than the car!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 40.0 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I need to move motorcycles and the trailer I have only weighs around 221 pounds by itself plus 400-500 of the motorcycle I don't think that would strain stuff to much. I mean the outlander sport ive read says same thing not to tow but then the Canadian version has a tow capacity but the us doesn't. And curt has a kit for the mirage why would a company like curt design a hitch to tow if the manufacture says not too?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    You asked why the manual says not to tow, that's what I answered. If you were to ask "should I tow with my Mirage?", you would get a different answer. Personally I have towed with vehicles that are not supposed to be used for towing, and have had no issues. However, if I had had an accident, you can bet the insurance company would be very quick to point to the "not to be used for towing" line in the manual. As to why Curt design towbars, I would suggest that they intend them to be used in markets where Mitsubishi state that towing is allowed, or for carrying pushbike racks, etc.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 40.0 mpg (US) ... 17.0 km/L ... 5.9 L/100 km ... 48.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Switzerland
    Thanks
    I had a class 1 trailer hitch mounted onto my Mirage and made a successful road-trip with around 700 pounds payload in the car and on the cargo rack.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/showthr...ll=1#post17022

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.8 mpg (US) ... 20.3 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.3 mpg (Imp)

In other words...

Can you tow with your Mirage?

Yes.

Should you tow with your Mirage?

Depends.

I've towed lots of light stuff with a little car not officially rated for towing. From a safety standpoint, as long as you don't overload the tongue or exceed the car's gross vehicle weight rating, you're technically OK. But the insurance question remains.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My Yaris has a 700-lb rating -- but only in Canada, according to the manual. The manual has 10 pages about safe towing, hooking up the trailer lights, etc. but then specifically notes at the top of each page that the information applies only to Canada and that in the US it is not allowed to tow anything (presumably for liability reason). In any event, I feel like the Yaris's relatively stiff suspension would be up for it -- the clutch, in hilly terrain, not so much.

Personally, I would not want to drive a Mirage very far with 100+ lbs hanging off the extreme rear. Ours starts getting pretty bouncy with one person (3 total, about 400 lbs total) and 50 lbs of groceries in the back. Maybe if you lived on flat land and/or changed out the rear shocks.

I think most people are using the hitches for bike racks.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by torrentperformance View Post
    I need to move motorcycles and the trailer I have only weighs around 221 pounds by itself plus 400-500 of the motorcycle I don't think that would strain stuff to much. I mean the outlander sport ive read says same thing not to tow but then the Canadian version has a tow capacity but the us doesn't. And curt has a kit for the mirage why would a company like curt design a hitch to tow if the manufacture says not too?
    They make em' cause people want em'.
    There's probly a 100 companies that make rods, balls, barbells n' such to stick in holes you pierce through yer penis. Sooo... "should" you poke holes in yer penis?
    ummm... yeah, I think that voids yer warranty in both cases.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IchabodCrane For This Useful Post:

Noopernipe (09-03-2014),poorman1 (05-22-2016)

^ Now that's an analogy I wasn't expecting!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Kineo (02-06-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    They make em' cause people want em'.
    There's probly a 100 companies that make rods, balls, barbells n' such to stick in holes you pierce through yer penis. Sooo... "should" you poke holes in yer penis?
    ummm... yeah, I think that voids yer warranty in both cases.
    I believe you got the picture across!