Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    A power window quirk.

I pressed the power window disable switch, and indeed the window switches on the other 3 doors now did nothing.

However, i wasn't expecting that the switches for the 3 passenger windows on the driver's door were also disabled.
    in other words, press the switch and all passenger window operations are disabled, from any switch.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mpaton View Post
    A power window quirk.

I pressed the power window disable switch, and indeed the window switches on the other 3 doors now did nothing.

However, i wasn't expecting that the switches for the 3 passenger windows on the driver's door were also disabled.
    in other words, press the switch and all passenger window operations are disabled, from any switch.
    My Jeep and Corolla both work like that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinker1980 View Post
    My Jeep and Corolla both work like that.
    I suppose if I think about it, I haven't driven many cars with such a switch, and I tend to think of it as a switch to stop kids playing with the electric windows, but it still lets me work them. It's not wrong, just unexpected.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 46.0 mpg (US) ... 19.5 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.2 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    speaking of kids, there are also a couple switches on the rear doors which, when set, will prevent the doors from being opened from the inside. certainly not unique to the mirage, but good to have for some folks.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    speaking of kids, there are also a couple switches on the rear doors which, when set, will prevent the doors from being opened from the inside. certainly not unique to the mirage, but good to have for some folks.

..... and to go along with that post, there are also small, metal, bars I guess you would call them that are at the junction of the bottom seat and the seat back, in the back seat area. These are for mounting a car seat in the back seat.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    With the CVT, when coming to a stop sometimes, it seems to down shift (reading about the auxiliary gears explains this), causing the car to lurch forward a little bit.

For USB the only thing that worked for me was putting different tracks on there. I have to go back through my original track set to see which ones were causing USB issues (no auto resume, took a minute to load).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to LurgidBee For This Useful Post:

JimInMichigan (05-06-2015)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LurgidBee View Post
    With the CVT, when coming to a stop sometimes, it seems to down shift (reading about the auxiliary gears explains this), causing the car to lurch forward a little bit.
    I wondered why I felt this lurch when test driving. Now I know it's normal.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 42.6 mpg (US) ... 18.1 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    on the topic of the CVT, it also seems to want to accelerate when going down a solid grade, even with one's foot right off the gas.

...and for using the "B" setting, it lets off of the braking when you get to about 1200 rpm and goes into a coast. i would prefer that it braked until idle was reached. if wonder if it can be adjusted or programmed...? otherwise, the "B" is actually proving to be quite useful. i use it often.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to El Kapitan For This Useful Post:

LurgidBee (05-29-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kapitan View Post
    on the topic of the CVT, it also seems to want to accelerate when going down a solid grade, even with one's foot right off the gas.

...and for using the "B" setting, it lets off of the braking when you get to about 1200 rpm and goes into a coast. i would prefer that it braked until idle was reached. if wonder if it can be adjusted or programmed...? otherwise, the "B" is actually proving to be quite useful. i use it often.

Here is the reason why it does not slow the car down until it hits idle speed. It is incredibly difficult, if not impossible to prevent the car from nearly dying if it were to allow the rpms to drop down that low before allowing the car to coast. By kicking out of decel mode at 1200 rpms, it gives the computer a bit of wiggle room to adjust the idle.

For example, if the computer were to allow the rpms to drop to 800 before taking control over the idle, and if you had the A/C running, the headlights on, and the windshield wipers going then that rather large load on the engine could make the engine stall or stumble really bad if the rpms were to drop say 400 rpm. Whereas by taking control over the idle at 1200 rpm, with the same above circumstances, it gives the computer a little wiggle room where if the rpms were to drop by 400, the motor would still be running fine.

A rather large part of the computer programming on any car is devoted to comfort. Smooth transitions, decreased vibrations, and great driveability are put ahead of fuel economy and power.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

fifteenwindow (05-06-2015),LurgidBee (05-29-2015)

Country
    Canada
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I'm no expert, but here is what I envision is going on when you decelerate to a stop. During deceleration, there is no fuel going to the engine so it is not firing at all. Then before you stop, the engine has to be re-started from the momentum of the car. Also, during deceleration the CVT would be in its highest gear ratio to allow coasting. Just before stopping, it has to shift to its lowest gear ratio to be ready to take off from standstill.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MiMi For This Useful Post:

LurgidBee (05-29-2015)