Page 22 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks

regenerative breaking

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    Thanks! I remember reading this in my manual.

I understand what you are describing here is part of the EU auto start/stop - lucky you! I wish this was available in US. Somewhere here I remember that the package includes an improved starter, improved alternator, and bigger battery.
    Indeed you are right. the package includes a stronger starter motor, stronger alternator and bigger battery. And one can feel the regenerative breaking clearly when it kicks in. I have 1.2 EU spec CVT with automatic stop and go. Indeed it is done to save a bit of fuel as the alternator does not have to work as often when the engine is pulling.

Bikerfreind
    Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    I tried the following this morning.

Start the car normally, drive the car warm, then i deactivated the AS&G function and let go the throttle so i let the car brake with the engine, but i felt just normal. I tried it a few times, both on a even level road and when i where driving down a hill.
    Then i tried again with the AS&G function on(not on the same hill, but at a similar steep hill and with the speed) and it felt just like normal.

But when you turn on the AC (i did not try this, this morning but have tried it some time ago, i mean we have a thread describing this "Feature") you can feel how the AC pump slows down the car..
    So if you drive in a steep hill area and want to save some brake pads, gear down and turn on the AC when going down a hill and kill it when driving up again, this way i assume you use the engine the best possible way as a brake.. (But i also think, that it's a bad idea to turn on and off the AC all the time, because it can't work well that way...)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to uheym For This Useful Post:

Cleartec (04-28-2016)

Admin note -- moved a post:

Thread: Smart key warning beeps for no reason

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by uheym View Post
    I tried the following this morning.

Start the car normally, drive the car warm, then i deactivated the AS&G function and let go the throttle so i let the car brake with the engine, but i felt just normal. I tried it a few times, both on a even level road and when i where driving down a hill.
    Then i tried again with the AS&G function on(not on the same hill, but at a similar steep hill and with the speed) and it felt just like normal.

But when you turn on the AC (i did not try this, this morning but have tried it some time ago, i mean we have a thread describing this "Feature") you can feel how the AC pump slows down the car..
    So if you drive in a steep hill area and want to save some brake pads, gear down and turn on the AC when going down a hill and kill it when driving up again, this way i assume you use the engine the best possible way as a brake.. (But i also think, that it's a bad idea to turn on and off the AC all the time, because it can't work well that way...)
    On the issue of turning the a/c on and off, as long as it is on for at least a minute or so each time then you won't do any damage to the a/c system. If you only turn it on for a few seconds at a time then you run the risk of not getting enough oil ran through the compressor to lubricate it correctly.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Forum member zx2uner found an interesting quirk. The fender molding/trim piece/'vent' on the Mirage has a wiring harness for a side marker light. With the purchase of an LED version of this item intended for the Lancer and Outback, the molding is easily removed, the LED fixture plugged in and popped into place - no tools needed.

According to zx2uner, it functions with the mirror LED. Refer to the discussion on this quirk here: LED Fender Side-marker

Thanks zx2uner! Great find.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (06-05-2016),fanfare (08-11-2021),inuvik (06-05-2016)

Country
    UK
    Thanks
    don;t know if this as been mentioned but you lightly tap the indicator stalk down . The indicator will flash 3 times useful then changing lanes on motorways (FREEWAY)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam - UK View Post
    don;t know if this as been mentioned but you lightly tap the indicator stalk down . The indicator will flash 3 times useful then changing lanes on motorways (FREEWAY)
    Yep, it's in this thread :-)
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    This is one of my favorite features.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (12-21-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    This is a theory - but I think I experienced a programing control by Mitsubishi to keep the engine from 'overpowering' the brakes* with the brake and throttle jointly applied. [First though - if you drive with 2 feet (not counting clutch use), i.e., 1 for the gas & 1 for the brake - let me be clear: you are *wrong* and a hazard, please educate yourself and improve your skills, or reconsider driving altogether until those self-drivers come about]
    Ok, now back to my alleged 'quirk,' I was wanting to heat up my brakes (like really heat them up) to help melt some snow from my wheels - I know, kinda a whacky proposition - so while alone on a stretch of highway I was 'dragging' the brake while I kept the gas-pedal depressed and the car itself seemed to be retarding the throttle input, even as I pressed the gas harder the car would not speed back up (nor maintain speed) until I *fully* released the brake. A slight easing but not full release of the brake pedal produced no effect on the retarding of the throttle.
    I am conjecturing that this is a 'safety' feature. That when the car's sensors register that throttle and brake are pressed simultaneously it allows the brake input to fully override throttle input. If I am correct about this I would guess that it is programmed that way because of all the incompetent drivers who (have) claim(ed) unintended acceleration, but are really just dangerously clueless.

* it's definitely a redundancy because there hasn't been a car produced in many decades that didn't have its brakes stronger than its engine output
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-22-2016)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    The Space Star/Mirage uses the generator only when needed (the same with all other cars). So, the deceleration you feel is the generator kicking in to keep the battery full when turning on AC.