Page 24 of 50 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast

Thread: Interesting Mirage Quirks!!

I knew that you can have the headlights on all the time and they shut off on their own when you turn off the car but didn't know you needed to open the door for them to turn off.(if that makes sense) Clearly me lives under rock too!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eiriksmil View Post
    Comfort mode turn signals, auto up/down driver's window switch and auto stop on the power window when it hits something is new to you? What rocks have you guys been hiding under the past decades?
    I think that's a whole lot of goodies in one of the lowest priced cars one can buy. I think it's great.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I had a '73 Saab 99 that would turn the headlights off when the car was turned off, thus allowing them to be left on all the time without worrying about a dead battery. Brilliant, simple idea. No, I don't recall what needed to be done if one wanted to turn on the lights when the key was in the off position, though I can't recall ever needing to do this in over 40 years of driving. In any event, I was happy Mirage can do that too. That and allow starting and opening the door without removing the key from your pocket. Love those 2 features.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    One nice thing about the headlight feature is that if you WANT the lights to stay on when you get out all you have to do is recycle the headlight switch after shutting the engine off.

This temporarily cancels the auto-off feature.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

bolo (09-28-2017),Marklovski (12-09-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    I've been living under a rock called a base model 1998 Pontiac Firefly. (Chevrolet Metro/Suzuki Swift)
    Me too, except mine was a 2007 Toyota Yaris base model which had none of these cool features and before that a 1991 Geo Metro XFI which was really bare bones.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.4 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Has this been posted?

I just discovered this fact and it appears to apply to most modern cars, not just the Mirage

Beside the fuel pump icon on the computer display is an arrowhead that either points left or right.

The direction it points is the side your gas door is on. Doh.
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Wallythacker For This Useful Post:

Eggman (12-08-2017)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    I have notice that on cool mornings the defroster comes on by it`s self at start up. At first I though I was crazy thinking I had left it on the night before. But I know I don`t use the defrost much here in FL winter.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Roberts For This Useful Post:

fanfare (08-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Roberts View Post
    I have notice that on cool mornings the defroster comes on by it`s self at start up. At first I though I was crazy thinking I had left it on the night before. But I know I don`t use the defrost much here in FL winter.
    It sounds like you have the automatic climate controls in your Mirage - but I'm just guessing. It's a great feature in these little economy cars that you can simply set a temperature and the controls manage the rest. You might also notice that when left in automatic mode and calling for heat, fan speed is kept down until the motor warms up - then fan speed begins to increase. This also has PTC heaters to help warm things up until the motor is warm enough to take over.

One of the earliest posts on this feature can be found in post #30 in this thread. Read about it here:
    Quote Originally Posted by 3dplane View Post
    Ok I got one. Not really a quirk but more of a hidden feature you probably didn't know.(I didn't).

Winter is coming for us on the northern half of the globe so you can try this one soon.

To augment heater performance the Mirage is equipped with an electric heating pad that is positioned in front of the heater core in the HVAC case. It warmes the air flowing to and through the heater core so it gives warm air quicker plus some of the heat gets passed on to the coolant circulating inside the heater core through this flow of warm air helping with engine warmup time.

Both automatic and manual A/C systems got it.
    Click on the little blue pointer in the quote box to read the whole post. Very cool!

Also the automatic AC operation can be disabled, saving both wear & tear and fuel consumption.
    Last edited by Eggman; 12-09-2017 at 12:16 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-09-2017),fanfare (08-11-2021)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurdents View Post
    oh oh ... i have one. If you don't fully engage the turn signals, but instead just bump them up or down, you get exactly 3 flashes in the direction you bumped it. Not sure if this is a normal car thing, or if i'm just used to driving craigslist special cars.
    Actually, I did some testing with this, it's not a matter of full/partial-engagement. The switch is 3 position not 5 position, so there is a timer for what constitutes a "bump" Even if you fully engage the signal and cancel it fast enough to be registered as a bump, the signal will not relent until it has flashed 3 times, unless you activate the signal in the other direction, which will cancel the first one. I wish it would take a 2nd bump in same direction to cancel or just not have the feature at all.
    2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    While reading my manual looking for the meaning of elusive icons, lol, that's going to haunt me here, right?, I read you can set the dash brightness for both headlights on or running/parking lights. Cool.

One more thing. Probably old news. You can use voice control to play music connected via BT.

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)