Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spare fob key (very expensive from dealer - other options?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 2,106 Posts

computer chip auto key option

My local ACE Hardware store in Wisconsin will do a key with a computer chip for $40. That price includes cutting the new key & programming the new key to your car in their parking lot. Some of the newer styles of auto keys are not cut completely through all the metal material on both side, & they can't copy those. From my understanding ACE Hardware could cut me a new key with a computer chip for my Mirage, because it's an older style type of key (same type of double-sided cut key that has been used for decades in cars). My Subaru has the newer style key, and they can't cut that type of key with their equipment.

As everyone knows, dealer charges for key replacement are expensive. Not sure the benefit of this feature is worth the extra cost, but it's unavoidable in today's cars. My experience is based on being a "behind-the-wheel" instructor in my community. Several instructors share a couple cars. Rather than buy several expensive computer chip keys, we have have $2 keys made without chips. We use those keys to access the car. A computer chip key is kept in the glove box to start the car. For years, that has worked for us. The owner of my driving school wasn't going to buy multiple expensive keys. He may have bought the $40 replacement keys, but that wasn't an option until recently.

Some of our newest cars have the new style of key that can't even be cut by your local hardware store. Thankfully, those cars also have key pay entries. We use the key pad code to enter the car and pull the one key we all share to start that car out of the glove box. Not a perfect system, but it works. Someone could bust a window and drive off with one of our cars, but it has student driver plastered all over it. It would stick out anywhere!

The bottom line - ACE Hardware in my area could make me a key that would start my 2017 Mirage ES, & it would only cost $40. For my Subaru, I am out of luck. I would have to rely on the dealer, because of the style of key it is.

I think more hardware stores will have this option as time goes on.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Pryme (02-24-2018)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    The bottom line - ACE Hardware in my area could make me a key that would start my 2017 Mirage ES, & it would only cost $40. For my Subaru, I am out of luck. I would have to rely on the dealer, because of the style of key it is.
    Have you actually had this done, or is it just 'theoretical'? Seems like many, many locksmiths have trouble with Mitsubishi key coding.

I have a '15 ES, which uses the F.A.S.T key system (keyless ignition). I am on the lookout for a way to avoid a $400 trip to the stealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks

theoretical

I've only owned my 2017 Mirage ES (manual) for about 4 month, & I haven't had a need to replace a key. As you probably already know, the 2017-18 ES models are now the base level models. Thus, they come with a key ignition that has a computer chip.

My inquiry at the time was for the cars I use in driver's education. It was my understanding, they could cut the key and program the computer chip for most cars. They were actually advertising this as a new service, & thus I did checked into it for our driver's education cars. This was done just prior to my Mirage purchase last fall.

When I inquired about it, I was led to believe they were successful in doing this with various vehicles. If I had a need for key, it's an option I would surely explore before visiting a dealership. It's possible it may not work for a Mirage I guess.

At this point, I don't have any experience with keyless ignitions. Avoiding a dealership may be impossible!

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Replacement key option (cheap)

So I remember the day I bought my mirage as I was was signing that phone book sized stack of papers the salesman said the key was a chip key and that the little red light would begin to flash nonstop when the battery is almost dead and if I wait too long to replace the battery like 3 days or so after the flashing the key will unprogram itself. He also said they would charge me 100 dollars just to reprogram that key. At the time I worked at a hardware store that made keys and our vendor for the blanks was a company called HY-KO. We had a Mitsubishi (Chip) blank that had the same grooves as my 2017 mirage key. Anyway I followed the steps on the package of the key it said first cut the key to match the original, then take it to the vehicle turn it to the on position for 10 seconds then to off then back to on for 10 seconds (repeat 3 times). What this does is get the first half of the programming from the vehicle itself. Now the original had to to be put in the key reader to be read, once read I put the new blank with half of the programming in the key reader and programmed the second half onto it and viola a 60 dollar chip key. Now keep in mind it was a chip key but no fob therefore no buttons to lock and unlock but on the bright side it had no battery so it could not deprogram itself and I could always use it to reprogram my originals if I needed to. And the price beats the stealership any day. I forgot to mention when I did the find my key search in the HY-KO data base it said dealer only but I just used a chip blank that had the same grooves just in case any of you ask at a hardware store to have one made, maybe ask if you can take a look at their blanks then have them cut it for you if you find it. Sorry for the long post but I just thought it might help someone.
    2017 mitsubishi mirage manual , redline mtl in the gearbox every 40k, mobil1 ep 0w20 along with fram ultra xg7317 every 15k

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Geojake For This Useful Post:

18slcmirage (11-12-2020),inuvik (12-17-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,785 Times in 2,104 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Geojake View Post
    So I remember the day I bought my mirage
    Sorry for the long post but I just thought it might help someone.
    Thanks for sharing this Geojake as I'm sure it'll help someone down the road.

I moved your post to be included in an existing thread on the subject so it will be less likely to be lost and forgotten.

Again, thanks for posting this.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    So I remember the day I bought my mirage as I was was signing that phone book sized stack of papers the salesman said the key was a chip key and that the little red light would begin to flash nonstop when the battery is almost dead and if I wait too long to replace the battery like 3 days or so after the flashing the key will unprogram itself. He also said they would charge me 100 dollars just to reprogram that key. At the time I worked at a hardware store that made keys and our vendor for the blanks was a company called HY-KO. We had a Mitsubishi (Chip) blank that had the same grooves as my 2017 mirage key. Anyway I followed the steps on the package of the key it said first cut the key to match the original, then take it to the vehicle turn it to the on position for 10 seconds then to off then back to on for 10 seconds (repeat 3 times). What this does is get the first half of the programming from the vehicle itself. Now the original had to to be put in the key reader to be read, once read I put the new blank with half of the programming in the key reader and programmed the second half onto it and viola a 60 dollar chip key. Now keep in mind it was a chip key but no fob therefore no buttons to lock and unlock but on the bright side it had no battery so it could not deprogram itself and I could always use it to reprogram my originals if I needed to. And the price beats the stealership any day. I forgot to mention when I did the find my key search in the HY-KO data base it said dealer only but I just used a chip blank that had the same grooves just in case any of you ask at a hardware store to have one made, maybe ask if you can take a look at their blanks then have them cut it for you if you find it. Sorry for the long post but I just thought it might help someone.
    It's good to hear someone has had success doing this.

I still don't believe the battery has anything to do with the chipped key, however. The battery is for the remote keyless entry. Many vehicles have a chipped key and remote keyless entry is another unit attached it by a key ring. Both my Forester & Impala (driver's education vehicle) are that way. Mitsubishi just happened to put the two things together as one unit instead.

If your battery dies, you will lose the ability to use your remote keyless entry. I highly doubt your key will not start your car. We use chipped keys to run driver's education vehicles all the time, and they don't have batteries in them. Yet, blank keys without chips won't start the car.

It's still great know the process of programming your own extra key works!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Geojake (12-19-2019)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Ok I have a 2017 with the FAST KEY fcc ouc003m but it all seems sold out or very expensive. Does anyone know if the one for the outlander that is ouc644 would work?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuartjay View Post
    Ok I have a 2017 with the FAST KEY fcc ouc003m but it all seems sold out or very expensive. Does anyone know if the one for the outlander that is ouc644 would work?
    I can't answer your question, but this clip shows how one is programmed to a Mirage. Others may find it interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuxauqU3M3Q

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    In this part of the world, no key place was able to make me a new key, but, they were able to copy the key I had with me.

The key guy said it was imperative they had the latest model software in their late model repro machine. This because the Mitsubishi sort of chip inside the actual key was a recent development and is very different from other chips.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    ... And the price beats the "stealership" any day.
    Stealerships