Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New car dryer

Country
    United States
    Thanks

New car dryer

I'm neurotically obsessive when it comes to my cars and maintaining them (ok, so I'm that way with most things). One of my super neurotic traits is with keeping the car clean and looking good. I normally use a water conditioning rinse system, but it died, and it cost hundreds to replace. I bought a Mirage to save money while at the same time have a great car. I work hard to keep a good finish on my car and don't like wiping a car down as that's just asking for a micro fine scratch here or there. So rather than buy a new one I gambled and bought a blow dryer for the car. The Metro Blaster Sidekick. It takes about 45 minutes to get the entire car dried with it, but the results are excellent! Nothing touching the paint (it has a filter to ensure it blows clean air on the car), no money spent on softening cartridges and filters, and no chamois/microfiber cloths! $68 bucks well spent!
    Attachment 1573

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by VespaGoGo; 09-13-2014 at 08:10 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's interesting. After I wash my car, I use a drying microfiber towel (I have two, I switch mid-way). I don't wipe or drag though, I use the towel as a blotter and do that for the whole car so you have no danger of scratching that way.

-Charlie-

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    We have so many trees it makes microfiber or chamois drying a risky endeavor. Blotting certainly works, but our water is so mineral laden that blotting still leaves ever so slight spotting. My rinse system was awesome. Wash the car, switch to rinse....no spots - no drying needed, but it's too expensive to replace.
    Last edited by VespaGoGo; 09-14-2014 at 02:11 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have used a blower for years. The car vac I bought from Griot's has an end that expels air and makes a great blower. I still wipe the car down with microfiber car towels. I find that the blower is essential for moving the water out of crevices created by doors, windows and the front grill work. Those pesky side mirrors hold water which rolls down the side of the car and leaves a streak. Using the blower moves that water out to be dried with the towel. I also use the blower on the wheels.

I will have to say I've never heard of this before.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It's actually very nice. It also warms the air (about like a hair dryer on low heat), so it dries things out fast. I can dry the entire car (mirrors, grill and all) in about 20 minutes now that I've had some practice with it. Either way, my dad gifted me a Magic Rinse system for my birthday. It should be here Friday. That will mean I can concentrate the blower on the areas that hold water and leave the rest to air dry without spots

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Nice color

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Pretty cool, but 45 minutes to dry a mirage would be way to much time for me. That would cut into my cruising time.
    Last edited by kissfan; 10-06-2014 at 03:15 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with kiss fan. 45 minutes to dry any car is too long. I washed the Mirage this morning. It took 20 minutes to wash the car including the tires and wheels. I dried the roof and hood with a large 100% cotton towel. Used microfiber to dry the windows so they would be spot free. Then used a blower to move water from emblems, mirrors and door handle areas. That took 5 minutes and then another 5 to wipe away the water that the blower released. So the time involved was 45 minutes start to finish.
    'By the way the car looks perfect.

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    OMG, PPL! stop wasting time, time is money. drying car for 45 mins? Go for a ride at 100 km/hours or more will dry your car as well .... Haha LOL I still dry my car with cloth, then clay bar it then wax it so ... cost me as much time as 45 mins drying but get more done (clay bar and waxing). It becomes super smooth again after the clay.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)