Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: DIY Intake

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Just last month I was driving through water up past the bottom of the doors on my focus haha. That would scare me. That was on my hill. The road, on top of the hill, was flooded. We had a bit of rain.

I'd route it above the exhaust for a WAI and better fuel economy.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    From what I've heard (never experienced) from other car forums, the filter has to be totally submerged for water ingestion. If I were to use this set-up, I would never drive any more than half a foot worth of water, just to be safe.

It all depends on the length of the intake, throttle opening, and the amount of the filter that is underwater. If only a portion of the filter is under water, but there is enough suction in the intake, it can suck water into the engine even though the filter is not completely submerged.

I've got a bent connecting rod in my garage from a hydrolocked motor. Luckily it was not mine. It was from a friend's SRT-4. Not a cheap fix either.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    anybody know what the mitsubishi part number is for the maf housing is? is it stamped on there somewhere?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage es 1.2 manual: 43.7 mpg (US) ... 18.6 km/L ... 5.4 L/100 km ... 52.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by btavish View Post
    anybody know what the mitsubishi part number is for the maf housing is? is it stamped on there somewhere?
    There is no part number. You'd have to buy the whole intake box or at least the half with the MAF housing, if they sell it like that.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    If you are like me and didn't get the fog light package you could simply pop out the plastic piece and run your filter in that general area allowing for some pretty cool are to hit it...just one idea

Country
    United Arab Emirates
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chris_top_her View Post
    I bought an extra part of my OEM intake (the underhood scoop),
    I dont really understand what you mean by this. Please explain what exactly are u talking bout?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    The MAF sensor housing is built into the air cleaner box.

More info here:

Developing a MAF sensor housing for custom air intakes

If you're looking for a MAF sensor housing for aftermarket intake, look here:

For Sale: MAF sensor housings for custom intakes
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rival Autosport View Post
    It makes for a lot of low-end torque loss and with the way the motor is tuned, the top end isn't as great either.
    Wait, are you saying it loss power in low end too? or were you saying OEM actually lacks low end torque because of how the OEM intake was mounted?

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by codenamezero View Post
    Wait, are you saying it loss power in low end too? or were you saying OEM actually lacks low end torque because of how the OEM intake was mounted?
    I actually have to recant my initial statement. I believe my initial results were attributed to the car having such low mileage from the which the ECU adjusted it's tune.

It does still lose some bottom end power, although not much, but mid-range gains a good bump and top end a slight raise in power. I only noticed this when comparing the setups when the car was over 20000kms, whereas before it was really low. Alos, in that time I changed from Sunoco 94 (10-15% ethanol) to Shell 91 (100% gasoline).

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Could you describe at around what rpm the gain/loss were? I mainly aimed to increase the torque around 2500-3500 rpm, since that's pretty much the sweet spot of where the CVT operates. And on highway, it almost never reaches under 2000 rpm. Do you also have scangauge to see whether it runs more efficient?