Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: DIY Intake

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I don't have any dynos as this was all butt dynoed and the gains were very gradual so no specifics. But I would say around 26-3700 probably saw the biggest gain, and the car just felt like it pulled harder near top end, but not drastic as the change for mid-range power.

Also consider that the CVT will make your gains differ slightly as to how much and where you gain, based on gearing, engine load, etc.....

Yes, I have a Scangauge but I've never paid attention to the numbers from before other than load and intake volume. So I can't give you any clear information that'll mean much. I just noticed a couple of documented differences and the way that the car felt.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I installed a intake simailar to yours and I had a rough idle. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on how to get rid of that rough idle.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Did installing the intake make you have a rough idle?

Welcome to the forum, 2017orangemirage!

I'm not sure if you'll get a response from Rival. He doesn't have his Mirage any more.

Maybe make an intro thread and ask there? Might get more eyeballs on the question.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Fummins (08-03-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    I've sold a bunch of the MAF housings for people to make custom air intakes. I haven't had any complaints of anyone having issues with rough idle.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by 2017orangemirage View Post
    I installed a intake simailar to yours and I had a rough idle. I was wondering if you had any thoughts on how to get rid of that rough idle.
    Are you saying this only happened after you changed the intake or did it always idle rough and you never noticed it til now? All mirage engines shake a lot at idle but it's not really noticeable when you're sitting in the car, but open the hood with it running and some people might think something is wrong. It's normal for the engine to shake around.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    does it matter if the stock intake tube is missing? mine broke and i just removed it. seemed to run the same. i just wanted to put some mesh over the holes to stop the noise echo in the engine compartment Name:  engine.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  96.1 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    You won’t notice too much of a difference, the the intake temperature is going to be higher, higher intake temperature = less dense air = less power. But I doubt it would be noticeable.

Mitsubishi did revise an air dam for the 2017+ mirages to direct more cold air to the intake snorkel. They wouldn’t invest effort in updating it without reasoning. I would buy a replacement intake snorkel from E-bay or see if there’s a Mirage in a Pic-a-part near you. Wouldn’t be too expensive.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingerfly View Post
    You won’t notice too much of a difference, the the intake temperature is going to be higher, higher intake temperature = less dense air = less power. But I doubt it would be noticeable.

Mitsubishi did revise an air dam for the 2017+ mirages to direct more cold air to the intake snorkel. They wouldn’t invest effort in updating it without reasoning. I would buy a replacement intake snorkel from E-bay or see if there’s a Mirage in a Pic-a-part near you. Wouldn’t be too expensive.
    yeah when i popped it off and looked how it was it just didnt seem like the air would be much coller 12 inches forward from the hole. the water overflow part is just worthless. i think ill just make a tube to go somewhere to get cooler air

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I did this to my 2014 in 2015 and haven't had any issues with it.