Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY Homelink Garage Opener

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Nice! I did the same back when I was parking my 7th gen accord in a garage, sadly I don't have the car anymore or pictures, but another great place to put that is in the dash in an empty switch knockout (if you have an extra one) like next to TCS off and Bluetooth if you have the DE. Then there should be room for the whole opener in the dash without taking off the protective case. I used one of these Cherry switches (Made in Japan) from an old washing machine (door interlock switch) They have a really nice snap-action feel that clearly indicates when the switch is pressed. Similar switches can be found at hardware or thrift store, like Re-Store as they were also used for turning on closet lights when you opened a door.

Name:  Photo on 2014-05-05 at 18.55.jpg
Views: 751
Size:  90.1 KB

2014 Mirage GLX 5MT Plasma Purple
    2004 Accord EX 5MT Graphite Pearl RIP

No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public. -- That's why Ford outsells Mitsu in the US

2. The Following User Says Thank You to bzacon For This Useful Post:

Eggman (04-21-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bzacon View Post
    I used one of these Cherry switches (Made in Japan) from an old washing machine
    Clever idea.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    In other vehicles I have gotten homelink garage door openers for about $2 (US funds- CHEAP!). They are easliy found in the sun visors of Dodge/Chrysler cars. I tear apart the visor, and mount the unit anywhere I want. The plus is that these are hard wired to the donor car and are set up to run 12v already so the install is a snap. They are much cheaper at the salvage yard than a garage door remote is at the home store. This link is just for picture reference to what I use- it is not me selling this unit.
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u1MAA...Gif/s-l500.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alsmedic For This Useful Post:

Alex1a1f (09-24-2017),Eggman (09-24-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by alsmedic View Post
    In other vehicles I have gotten homelink garage door openers for about $2 (US funds- CHEAP!). They are easliy found in the sun visors of Dodge/Chrysler cars. I tear apart the visor, and mount the unit anywhere I want. The plus is that these are hard wired to the donor car and are set up to run 12v already so the install is a snap. They are much cheaper at the salvage yard than a garage door remote is at the home store. This link is just for picture reference to what I use- it is not me selling this unit.
    https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u1MAA...Gif/s-l500.jpg
    That's clever man.

(blank signature)