Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Front speaker replacement

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by VespaGoGo View Post
    That's a lot of plastic! I've never seen a speaker setup like that. It's amazing they sound as good as they do considering what they look like. Thanks again! Great work on the write up and the pics!

Thanks! I agree. It is a BUNCH of plastic which is probably why they are so light. I might just go and weigh them just for fun.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    Grr, those @#$%^ lol. My desire to upgrade the speakers has dramatically lowered. :-(

If I can't bring myself to use a slightly higher viscosity of motor oil like Cookiemonster, then you can be sure I don't want to saw things on my precious car. Aww come on Mitsubishi!

Well, I did want a cheap, fuel saving car and they definitely delivered on that, so Mitsubishi gets a pass on this one.

Someone with a base DE model, stock stereo MUST have tried to go to an Audio place to have their speakers swapped out by now..how come we haven't heard any rejection of service stories yet?

I dunno, gimme a few years with the car, I may be more willing to bring the bone saw to the car then. If I do, I know I'll have a good guide here though, thanks again!

-Charlie-

The installers never tell customers how they put the speakers in your car, they just do it. I've seen poor quality installs because a door was seriously hacked to install a speaker that was never designed to go into a car (putting a 6 1/2" in a 4" hole, or putting a 6X9 into a 5X7 hole). If the customer wants a speaker installed, they just pay to have it done and do not ask what is required to do it and sometimes the installer really doesn't know what he is doing.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    For me, the factory speakers are fine. However, I decided to upgrade I would cut up the original speakers to make a mount base to screw new speakers into. While 91cavgt did a great job, there's no reason someone else has to whack up the door....whack up the cheap speakers. Worse case is that you have to buy new factory speakers if you want to go back to original.

The problem is that there is no way to secure the new speaker on to the old speaker brackets. I think I may take one of the speakers apart and take pictures to show this.

Out of my years of being around installers and working in the industry, I have only seen someone want to re-install their factory speakers once or twice, and that is because they had either MB Quart or Focal speakers, back when those speakers were several hundred for a single pair.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Alright, here are the stock speakers dissected;

First I weighed them;

Each one weighs 385 grams, or 13 5/8 ounces. VERY light weight!!!

Then I removed the cone and spider of the speaker revealing the basket of the speaker, which the mounting bracket for the speaker is incorporated into the speaker basket.

A close up view of the speaker. Note that there is not an area on the speaker that could be used to mount a new speaker to it. So it does not look like the old speakers could be used to mount new ones in the factory way.

Here is an angled view showing how the mount is made into the speaker. I see no way of reusing the stock mounts for new speakers.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

Daox (09-24-2014),VespaGoGo (09-24-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funny thing is that even though they're made to be super cheap, they still sound better than the Chevy Spark's "premium" speakers.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Funny thing is that even though they're made to be super cheap, they still sound better than the Chevy Spark's "premium" speakers.

They do sound quit good for what they are!! More than likely this is due to a VERY light weight speaker cone which makes a speaker be more efficient and react quicker to musical transitions, but long term reliability is low due to the paper cone. If they get wet and music is played with them being wet then it can destroy them. I am also willing to bet that the magnet material is strontium instead of ferrite.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree with that they are good enough for the average person. Definitely would like a little more treble and better clarity on med-high volume, but one can't have everything.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ares View Post
    I agree with that they are good enough for the average person. Definitely would like a little more treble and better clarity on med-high volume, but one can't have everything.

When it comes to the sound quality in these cars, one can have everything. One just needs to upgrade to speakers that actually have tweeters instead of whizzer cones!

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Anyone wanting to upgrade their door speakers should just call Crutchfield Car Stereo. They sell several aftermarket speakers plus the required brackets for just about any car made, including the mirage, which are free if you buy the speakers from them, and there are LOTS of choices.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sunsetjim View Post
    Anyone wanting to upgrade their door speakers should just call Crutchfield Car Stereo. They sell several aftermarket speakers plus the required brackets for just about any car made, including the mirage, which are free if you buy the speakers from them, and there are LOTS of choices.

But as I refered to earlier in this thread, if you use the mounts that Crutchfield supplies, you are limited on which speakers you can run due to the tweeters hitting the grill on the door. However, if the speakers you want are on Crutchfield's list of speakers that will fit, by all means by them there because the wire adapter and mounting adapter are free!!