Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: DIY: Front speaker replacement

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by laceygirl View Post
    I just wanted to add, I had my speakers installed yesterday, both my front and rear speakers are pioneer and I didn't need speaker mounts AT ALL... I was pleasantly surprised... My Auto Electrician put them straight in and because they're a shallow mount they don't hit the windows... And they fit in the triangle space no dramas...
    What model Pioneers did you go with?

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Car Nut,

Here you go....

Name:  My Speakers.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  95.1 KB

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to laceygirl For This Useful Post:

Car Nut (10-12-2015)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If I'm not mistaken, those are 6 3/4" speakers so they are just slightly larger than 6 1/2" speakers.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    The front ones are 16cm and the back ones are about the same from memory... I'm metric here...

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage LS 1.2 manual: 38.0 mpg (US) ... 16.2 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I installed the newest model Hertz DIECI DCX 165 co-axials. Probably one of the best headunit power 6.5's I've ever heard. I was skeptical of the overwhelming positive reviews but they are really really good. Most are lacking in bass, these are not. I'm not a fan of poly cones and these are pressed paper so the mids sound great and the speaker doesn't need a ton of power. The highs are not harsh either. Rated 93db/spl so much much louder than the toy speakers that were in there. I should mention I'm running a chinese android headunit.

The front's require a 1/2" spacer or you'll hit the window. I pulled the magnet covers on the front for more clearance as well. Even with 1/2" spacer it's still close. 3/4 may be better but the tweeter sticks out a bit so you'll have to watch that. The baskets on these are large enough that even with a crutchfield adapter I suspect you'd still have to cut the door to get them in so I just cut them and didn't order the adapters. With the spacer the baskets hit the metal.

And FYI guys a TON of manufactures mount speakers the way the mirage has them. GM trucks I know are.

Name:  s-l1600.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  74.0 KB
    Name:  s-l1600 (1).jpg
Views: 1545
Size:  65.5 KB
    Name:  s-l1600 (2).jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  71.7 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Wubbalubbadubdub; 05-03-2016 at 01:15 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Wubbalubbadubdub For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (05-04-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Wubbalubbadubdub, what was the cost of those?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    $120 on most sites.
    http://www.mobilesoundworks.com/Prod...VxQaApAm8P8HAQ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 51.2 mpg (US) ... 21.8 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 61.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,789 Times in 2,108 Posts
    $104 at Amazon: DCX 165.3 - Hertz 6.5" 2-Way 60W RMS DIECI Series Coaxial Speakers

How do you suppose these would sound with the stock radio? Also, did you replace just the fronts or all four?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    $104 at Amazon: DCX 165.3 - Hertz 6.5" 2-Way 60W RMS DIECI Series Coaxial Speakers

How do you suppose these would sound with the stock radio? Also, did you replace just the fronts or all four?
    Not sure about using them with the stock radio to be honest. The factory speakers are bad but I know the factory base head unit doesn't output much because even with the stock speakers when I put the head unit in they sounded better. I'd recommend replacing the factory head unit especially if you have a base model and no steering wheel controls. The Metra head unit adapter comes in single or double din and looks factory. This is one of the easiest head unit swaps I've ever done....you just pull the top trim piece off and unplug and take two screws off and the radio comes out. I'd recommend getting a 2 din if you want the factory look. If you get an android head unit you'll have to trim the adapter a bit with a dremel. I also cut the door metal with a dremel. The door metal is quite thin.

Con....doesn't come with speaker leads so I just soldered some on. Terminals are there but it was easier for me to just solder since I have soldering stuff already. I replaced all 4 and took the magnet caps off of all of them. I got them for $89 a pair from http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-HERTZ-DC...f9LNusksfUJ_XA

They only have 1 left in stock it seems.

While these do have good bass response for 6.5's I'm still itching for some bass but this sounds good enough for the time being.

If you replace just the front it would be big improvement but you'll see how bad the factory speakers are if you use them both at the same time. I could turn the volume way up with the Hertz's but the factory speakers distort at about half to 3/4 volume and have TERRIBLE highs. I would guess if you run good speakers up front you'd end up fading all the way to the front.

I have this for a head unit...I use my phone for hotspot and use it for navigation and spotify mostly. Main downside is 20-30 second boot time.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Quad-Core-7-.../201574592058?
    Last edited by Wubbalubbadubdub; 05-03-2016 at 09:14 PM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks for the info. I just bought my base 2015 model without navigation, and I'm looking at speakers. 2 questions:

1) With the stock CD unit (no navigation in mine), is it worth replacing the speakers? Or is the stock headunit too weak to push decent speakers?

2) Does anyone else have experience with 6.5 inch speakers that will fit without modification in the triangle space?

Thanks all

13. The Following User Says Thank You to jlxturbo For This Useful Post:

TXmirageGUY (12-14-2017)