Thread: Mirage in jalopnik again: 10 cars that desperately need performance packages

Country
    Philippines
    Thanks

Cool Mirage in jalopnik again: 10 cars that desperately need performance packages

ten cars that desperately need performance packages

Before you roll your eyes and scroll down the page, let me remind you that the Mirage weighs less than 2,000 lbs. Yep, the Mirage weighs just 1,996 lbs. Throw a turbo on that little 1.2 L 3-cylinder and you'd have an absolute riot on your hands.
    Its on the number 6 spot. Dunno if the article is positive or not but its still nice to see the mirage in there

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GooneyGooney For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (09-28-2014),MetroMPG (09-27-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    This ought to make them smile: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ad-mirage.html

I expect this package costs more, though, and likely doesn't enjoy the excellent fuel efficiency of the base model!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    These two posts are Very Nice! Keep the post Comeing. Thank you......
    hello from bluejellybean

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 38.4 mpg (US) ... 16.3 km/L ... 6.1 L/100 km ... 46.1 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    This ought to make them smile: http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ad-mirage.html

I expect this package costs more, though, and likely doesn't enjoy the excellent fuel efficiency of the base model!

Holy wide body Bat Man!!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The Mirage really needs a sport/performance version. Nothing crazy. Just a sportier trimmed version. Supercharge the 1.2L 3cyl (Nissan did it with the Micra, so why not?) instead of turbo charge. The 3cyl needs the instant surge of torque at throttle that a supercharger would offer. Also add a much firmer, more stable sport suspension. Maybe some cool graphics, honeycomb mesh air dam, 15inch sportier wheels on lower profile tires, unique upholstery. It'd be a popular hot hatch.

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Why does the Mirage need a turbo or supercharger? It's just fine for the everyday driver

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree on the supercharger. I'd love to see one with a toggle switch, similar to an AC clutch, so you can turn it off for economy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It does not matter if it was a turbocharger or a supercharger, the car would still not be very responsive at low rpms and here is why. The computer program, the cam shaft, and the cam timing all combined are what gives the car it's unique power band of not having much power until you cross about 3k rpm. If you were to add boost to the mix, the powerband would still be very similar to how it is now, just more power all around. In order to get more low end power as well as good top end power at the same time, you would need to add boost to the mix along with programming changes, camshaft changes, and cam timing changes. There are small turbo chargers out there that would allow the car to have full boost no later than 2,000 rpm while still giving a nice, broad power band.

Certified holder of useless car knowledge.