United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Is the '09 FIT an auto or manual ?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Canoehead , we bounce back and forth on cars . A car salesperson worst nightmare .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHoot View Post
    OK here ...

OK it works, there's a lot of data there, but just notice the mpg vs mid readings.! Also the 37.77 lifetime mpg.
    Yeah, wth - the MID appears to be about worthless, and wildly optimistic. Essentially most FIT owners would likely be clueless about the true fuel efficiency of their cars, or am I missing something?
    ゼロ

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 33.4 mpg (US) ... 14.2 km/L ... 7.0 L/100 km ... 40.1 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Minihaha For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-03-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
    Yeah, wth - the MID appears to be about worthless, and wildly optimistic. Essentially most FIT owners would likely be clueless about the true fuel efficiency of their cars, or am I missing something?
    I just skimmed the data. At first, it seemed the MID was reasonably consistent at 12% over-estimating. Then I saw swings where it went from right on to 40% over. If the error was consistent and repeatable it could still be useful, but I see you are correct that it isn't much good at all.

Does anyone have any idea why it is so wrong?

Are there particular circumstances (extreme cold? short trips? idling? highway driving? fuel additives?) that exacerbate the problem?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Is the '09 FIT an auto or manual ?
    Automatic. I would hate to accuse Honda of overstating the mileage, but maybe they know most people never actually check the mileage. I just don't know how accurately the car computer can measure fuel flow? (Anybody know how accurately gasoline flow can be measured?).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following User Says Thank You to DonHoot For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-05-2014)

They typically don't measure fuel consumption directly. They measure air consumption and extrapolate fuel consumption based on a/f ratio.

I would hate to accuse Honda of overstating the mileage
    That practice is getting harder and harder to do. People definitely track and share their mileage. Car companies now get sued (in the U.S.) when the ratings are too far off.

Also, the EPA has stepped up auditing of manufacturers to ensure the submitted numbers are repeatable in independent testing. Mercedes Benz was just caught overstating one of its cars. Article: EPA to Fortify Certification Oversight in Wake of Mileage Controversies

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-05-2014)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    They typically don't measure fuel consumption directly. They measure air consumption and extrapolate fuel consumption based on a/f ratio.
    That's how it is done for athletes to (VO2Max test). So knowing that, what makes the MID so wrong? Is it an issue of air pressure/density/temperature? Does some of the fuel remain uncombusted and go through the system without oxidizing (air used, but no fuel burned)? Is the scan-gauge any better than the on-board systems?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Here's the original gas mileage estimates posted in window of each FIT when new . The top is the '11 and below the '13 . Both are base with a 5 speed auto and exceed the fuel economy estimates .
    Attached Images Attached Images   

12. The Following User Says Thank You to cinder For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-08-2014)

Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    So knowing that, what makes the MID so wrong? Is it an issue of air pressure/density/temperature? Does some of the fuel remain uncombusted and go through the system without oxidizing (air used, but no fuel burned)?
    Good question. To start, most factory displays are significantly optimistic -- 10% isn't unusual. (FYI, the Mirage's wasn't too far off in my experience - under 5% optimistic over the 3 fills I tracked.)

Maybe by extrapolating from stoich, they don't properly account for additional fuel used during warm-up mode (running rich below a certain coolant temp threshold). Or in open loop mode (WOT).

Is the scan-gauge any better than the on-board systems?
    Yes, because it's adjustable. You can calibrate a ScanGauge to a specific vehicle by ajusting offsets for both fuel use and distance covered.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-08-2014)

PS: Green Car Reports just did a "gas mileage test" of the 2015 Fit CVT and got 39 mpg US in a trip that was ~2/3 highway. Uncharacteristically, they used "Eco mode" some of the time (which I don't believe they normally do).

The writer is not a fan of eco-driving, despite the eco-focus of the blog:

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/...compact-or-not

16. The Following User Says Thank You to MetroMPG For This Useful Post:

Canoehead (10-08-2014)