Thread: Efficiency/Economy comparisons to Honda Fit

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Efficiency/Economy comparisons to Honda Fit

***Edit - I've been reading more about how cargo volume is measured - in short, these numbers may be meaningless as each company decides how they are going to measure cargo volume and it may not be consistent. Best to look at/measure/test load any car with whatever load you need as these numbers don't tell the whole story. See "Cargo Volume" thread***

I've taken a few numbers from the Mitsubishi Canada and Honda Canada web sites, comparing the base models of each. By some measures, the Honda Fit is more "efficient", but the Mirage is more "economical". By that I mean the Fit can move more mass and produce more power for a given volume of fuel (winner in a physics class), but the Mirage can haul more cargo and people for a given volume of fuel (winner in an accounting class). I made no attempt to quantify how "nice" each car is in terms of comfort, ride/handling, looks etc.

Power - The Fit produces 176% of the power of the Mirage (130/74)
    Torque - The Fit produces 174% of the torque of the Mirage (114/74)
    Weight - The Fit is 126.4% heavier than the Mirage (1131/895)

Cargo volume - The Fit has 96.5% of the cargo volume of the Mirage (rear seat up - 487/470)
    *the seat down maximum volume may be larger for the Fit, but Mitsubishi does not publish a number.
    *Edited - Per Chrome Data - Mitsubishi's max cargo volume is 1331L to Honda's 1492 so the Fit has 112.1% of the maximum cargo volume of the Mirage.

Passenger volume - The Fit has 111% of the passenger volume of the Mirage (2710/2440)

Fuel use based on 2015 model published figures with manual transmission
    City fuel consumption - The Fit uses 115.7% of the fuel of the Mirage in the city (8.1/7.0)
    Highway fuel consumption - The Fit uses 112.2% of the fuel of the Mirage on the highway (6.4/5.7)
    Combined fuel consumption - The Fit uses 114.1% of the fuel of the Mirage combined (7.3/6.4)

Price - rough calculation - the money saved buying a new Mirage at $14k over a new Fit at $19k would buy enough gas to go about 72,000km on the highway in the Mirage. (5000/1.21/5.7*1
    Last edited by Canoehead; 10-14-2014 at 02:10 PM. Reason: typo on hwy fuel consumption - 112.2% is correct.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Canoehead For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (09-30-2014)