Thread: Loosing to Yaris on Fuelly!

Country
    Canada
    Thanks

Loosing to Yaris on Fuelly!

Hello owners. The current score, bottom of the 9th or fourth quarter or whatever sporting analogy you prefer is 5.6L/100km for the Mirage, and 5.4L/100km for the Toyota Yaris. (42mpg vs 43.4mpg for our American brethren)

(Insert motivational coaches speech here)

Seriously, though, is this some sort of data error or glitch? The Mirage should beat the Yaris based on anything I can think of. Is someone flogging their Mirage to skew the result?
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/yaris
    http://www.fuelly.com/car/mitsubishi/mirage

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Don't forget the Yaris has a diesel option in Europe, plus smaller gas engine options, if I'm not mistaken. The biggest-engine-only Yaris you can buy in North America won't be as efficient as a Mirage, that's for sure!

Also, our own fuel log has far more Mirages (65) than Fuelly (37) and is currently showing 43.2 mpg (US) fleet average.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage.php

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Don't forget the Yaris has a diesel option in Europe, plus smaller gas engine options, if I'm not mistaken. The biggest-engine-only Yaris you can buy in North America won't be as efficient as a Mirage, that's for sure!

Also, our own fuel log has far more Mirages (65) than Fuelly (37) and is currently showing 43.2 mpg (US) fleet average.

http://mirageforum.com/forum/emgarage.php
    I would really like a small affordable car with a diesel engine. I've heard VW's aren't particularly reliable and they are pricey. I actually had the chance to take a ride in a Tesla yesterday - an excellent representation of high initial cost vs low fuel cost (I want my cake and to eat it too which seems like what the Mirage does . . . unless by "cake" we also include amazing acceleration and luxurious interiors).

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Wow ... lucky you! I've seen a few on the road but haven't ridden in one yet. Save up for the 'affordable' Model 3.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    This pretty much sums up why the Yaris has such high ratings. There are a bunch of the hybrids in the ratings.

Name:  hybrid.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  37.4 KB
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Daox View Post
    This pretty much sums up why the Yaris has such high ratings. There are a bunch of the hybrids in the ratings.

Name:  hybrid.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  37.4 KB
    Now I get it. Thanks to both you and Metro for that. I was actually unaware of the diesel/hybrid variants in other markets, which explains it clearly. Sure would be nice if Fuelly allowed users to sort by transmission or trim or what-not.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    I would really like a small affordable car with a diesel engine. I've heard VW's aren't particularly reliable and they are pricey. I actually had the chance to take a ride in a Tesla yesterday - an excellent representation of high initial cost vs low fuel cost (I want my cake and to eat it too which seems like what the Mirage does . . . unless by "cake" we also include amazing acceleration and luxurious interiors).
    I had one of those very fuel efficient Diesel's, but had to get rid of it for purely economical reasons.
    Why was it so uneconomical?

1) It had a common-rail injection system (direct injection). The Common-rail injectors (especially piezo-injectors) seldom lasted longer than 100 000 -150 000km. That is €1600 to change them every 100 000 to 150 000km.

2) The common-rail high-pressure pump will usually last around 150 000 to 200 000 km, another €3000 or so to exchange it.

2) The by law mandatory particulate filter needs changing every 80 000 to 120 000km, or every five years according to regulation requirement. (Should the car emit any detectable smoke, it will need changing sooner plus additional repairs.) Another €800-1200 for the particulate filter, if you get it done cheap.

3) A microscopic speck of dirt is all it takes to permanently wreck a pump or injector.

If I added it up correctly, the mentioned maintenance alone costs 3/4 as much per mile as the fuel for my Mirage, which has no direct injection system.
    Last edited by foama; 09-22-2014 at 04:19 PM.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Yeah.. ^^^^^^ why a diesel if you can get same or better economy from gas? Diesel has higher initial cost, higher maintenance cost, in many markets diesel fuel costs as much as, or more than gas and your vehicle will likely rust away before you recoup the promised economic benefit.
    Will weld for beer.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 45.3 mpg (US) ... 19.3 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IchabodCrane View Post
    Yeah.. ^^^^^^ why a diesel if you can get same or better economy from gas? Diesel has higher initial cost, higher maintenance cost, in many markets diesel fuel costs as much as, or more than gas and your vehicle will likely rust away before you recoup the promised economic benefit.
    In answer to your question "Why a diesel", I will give you my thoughts (ill-informed though they may be).

Diesel fuel may be the same price, but I believe it has higher energy density. Like if a pint of vodka costs the same as a pint of beer - the vodka is better value. I don't think you can get the same economy - a Mirage gets about the same mpg as a golf wagon diesel, but that golf has about 3 times the torque, and is bigger in just about every way. By that measure, the golf is more efficient, and if that efficiency was extrapolated (0.8l diesel in Mirage body) I think the diesel would win.

Torque - diesels have so much more. That means a small car can comfortably pull a trailer and hum along the highway at low rpms.

Longetivity - clearly this isn't the case with small turbo diesels, but I look at trucks and tractors that can reach a million miles or equivalent hours, albeit with a rebuild or two. They seem to build diesels to work harder and longer.

Now your point about the vehicle rusting out before the economy pays off is likely true. In fact, it seems rare these days that a good gas engine gives up before the rest of the car is worthless. I also understand that the small diesel turbos are not the same animal as the old grease-burners in tractors/trucks, so that advantage is gone. Finally, I don't actually need the torque, so I suppose my next car will be gas. Still, I sort of like diesel at least as an idea!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Canoehead View Post
    The other problem with the TDI is they use a timing belt. Completely unacceptable. So, any fuel savings are going to be thrown out when you have to pay $1000 to have the timing belt changed.