Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: More storage (custom rear storage compartment & flat load floor)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,431 Times in 1,037 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Wallythacker View Post
    I lost a good friend because she was hit and had a full 5 g gas can in the trunk that ruptured, instantly filling the cabin with fire. She didn't stand a chance.
    That's terrible. I've had to carry a gas tank in a car a time or two, and I thought about that possibility ... and didn't like it at all.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2020 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 42.4 mpg (US) ... 18.0 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I also can't stand the smell of gas in the cabin. I was toting around a small container, that true fuel stuff, came with a chainsaw I bought. that had literally ounces of gas/oil and the smell was awful. The seal was damaged. My windows had to be open all the time. I found it when cleaning out the hatch and disposed of it. I'm a bit surprised that stuff is a retail item. As I did, it got tossed in the back and if not leaking, might get forgotten about. Until the collision.

If you need a two stroke mix, buy a small certified gas can for $10, 5 litres size and mix your own. Use premium fuel & Stabil and you will never have a problem with starting and small engine. Ever,
    Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Where's the leak ma'am? Marklovski's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Started building one based on Melanie's measurements Name:  IMG_20230722_095852.jpg
Views: 339
Size:  92.9 KB
    Fuel Log: Good enough
    Instagram: @zoras_sapphire

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Marklovski For This Useful Post:

inuvik (07-24-2023),mitsumi (08-04-2023),mohammad (07-24-2023),precisionxt (08-16-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Finally got to finishing this. Didn't go 100% as planned. I tried putting a 6" 7lb door shock on but it ripped off the hinge. Probably because the hinge screws were tiny and set more to the center. I will keep the shocks and will install more hinges with longer screws when I get to it.Name:  IMG_20230812_122122.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  90.1 KBName:  IMG_20230812_150216.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  98.7 KBName:  IMG_20230812_122136.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  92.2 KBName:  IMG_20230812_143539.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  95.9 KB

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Finally got to finishing this. Didn't go 100% as planned. I tried putting a 6" 7lb door shock on but it ripped off the hinge. Probably because the hinge screws were tiny and set more to the center. I will keep the shocks and will install more hinges with longer screws when I get to it. Name:  IMG_20230812_143539.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  95.9 KB
    Is your donut spare still under it when put in place?

Looks good!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Is your donut spare still under it when put in place?

Looks good!
    Yes! So I have the spare and jumper cables under which I never use. The storage is for stuff I rarely get to but need. This setup actually saved a bunch of space in my car. Especially with all the moving I'm doing. I will move soon again.

You know its rough when you're an accountant and can't afford a house.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,716 Times in 2,125 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Marklovski View Post
    Yes! So I have the spare and jumper cables under which I never use. The storage is for stuff I rarely get to but need. This setup actually saved a bunch of space in my car. Especially with all the moving I'm doing. I will move soon again.

You know its rough when you're an accountant and can't afford a house.
    I took a slightly different approach. If I am a couple hundred miles from home or more, I value a full size spare tire more than anything. Finding a 165/65r14 replacement tire on the road would be slim, and I don't want to travel a long distance on a donut spare. A full size spare fits in the spare wheel well, but it sticks up a bit more. I cut out a piece of masonite board. It rests on the full size spare in the middle, & the small cleats on the sides support the edges. It just lifts up or out and the factory carpet still covers it. I can store stuff inside the full size spare rim & both sides of the tire.

I wish Mirage rear seats flipped forward (creating a flat rear floor space. I miss that, and most of my wagons, SUVs, & hatchbacks did that! It would be so much better for transporting dogs, dead deer, firewood, small furniture, or whatever.