Thread: More storage (custom rear storage compartment & flat load floor)

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks

More storage (custom rear storage compartment & flat load floor)

This is the one area that really bothers me with small cars. There just isn't enough storage available. I am a former mechanic, and so I like to have a lot of tools with me in my vehicles, just in case something happens I don't have to rely on someone else to get me back home.

So, as we all know, the rear seats are not flat with the trunk floor. This is a perfect area for more storage!!!

Stock;

That little height difference makes putting things on the back of the back seats difficult due to the height difference. So, a quick trip to the hardware store, some 1" X 4" boards along with some hardy board and we are in business!!

Now I have jumper cables, a 4 way tire iron, lots of tools, a 12 volt air compressor, a folding chair, the jack (I had to relocate it to make room for the power inverter and amp that is now located under the driver's seat), and I still have more room available!

Now, cut out some hardy board as a new cover for the top;

Throw the stock carpet back over;

And now we have more storage that is hidden and no one can see or tell it is there, even with the hatch open or the back seats folded down!!

From a previous thread of mine, I have an 8 gauge power wire ran to this area. It is now wired up to a distribution block which will soon have a 12 volt power outlet hooked up to it, a CB radio will be hooked up to it (I haven't found a good place for it yet), and later I will use the distribution block to power an auxiliary HID reverse light!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 91cavgt For This Useful Post:

01-7700 (01-09-2018),Canoehead (09-29-2014),Car Nut (12-26-2015),Daox (12-28-2015),DemiRage (09-30-2014),DirectNova (09-29-2014),MetroMPG (09-29-2014),Mr. Mits (07-30-2023),ToXiQ (10-23-2014)