Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: More storage (custom rear storage compartment & flat load floor)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mohammad View Post
    what is that inside your spare tire?

That is a zippered case that holds jumper cables. It is a round soft case that fits nicely into a spare tire.

I’m glad to see this thread is still inspiring others, and everyone else’s look so much better than mine did!!

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,177 Times in 679 Posts
    Well done, Melanie!
    The OEM solution was too expensive for me, so I built a solution myself years ago. It's a bit similar to Melanie's solution, but is open on the bottom, so not to waste any storage space. The boards parallel to the driving direction on mine are only thin plywood for safety reasons. If the car got rear ended, I wouldnt want rear passengers to get speared through their backs by those mitred boards.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foama For This Useful Post:

mitsumi (06-29-2023),mohammad (06-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,126 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foama View Post
    Well done, Melanie!
    The OEM solution was too expensive for me, so I built a solution myself years ago. It's a bit similar to Melanie's solution, but is open on the bottom, so not to waste any storage space. The boards parallel to the driving direction on mine are only thin plywood for safety reasons. If the car got rear ended, I wouldnt want rear passengers to get speared through their backs by those mitred boards.
    I don't want to be left using a donut spare a long distance from home, & finding a 165/65r14 replacement tire at a tire shop (without ordering it) would be a real crap shoot while traveling.

I value a full size spare tire more than anything, & a full size spare fits in the spare tire wheel well. A 165/65r14 tire is wider than the donut spare. Thus, I cut out a thin Masonite board that rests on the full size tire, and cleats support the outer edge of it. It leaves a small hidden space to hide other items out of sight.

When traveling away from home, I value items like a full size spare tire, jumper cables, clutch cable, headlight bulb, & serpentine belt. Most of those items fit within the full size spare tire. There's also extra space around the full size spare tire.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I don't want to be left using a donut spare a long distance from home, & finding a 165/65r14 replacement tire at a tire shop (without ordering it) would be a real crap shoot while traveling.

I value a full size spare tire more than anything, & a full size spare fits in the spare tire wheel well. A 165/65r14 tire is wider than the donut spare. Thus, I cut out a thin Masonite board that rests on the full size tire, and cleats support the outer edge of it. It leaves a small hidden space to hide other items out of sight.

When traveling away from home, I value items like a full size spare tire, jumper cables, clutch cable, headlight bulb, & serpentine belt. Most of those items fit within the full size spare tire. There's also extra space around the full size spare tire.
    My spare tyre is a 165/65R14. The storage solution is open towards the bottom, so the inside of the spare is part of the useful storage space. In that space is a spare clutch cable, light bulbs, serpentine belt, many tools, etc.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    My spare tyre is a 165/65R14. The storage solution is open towards the bottom, so the inside of the spare is part of the useful storage space. In that space is a spare clutch cable, light bulbs, serpentine belt, many tools, etc.
    Everything I mentioned in my previous post is stored within my full size spare tire, too.

Having a winter & summer set of tires - For me a full size spare is a winter tire during the summer months or a summer tire during the winter month.

Are mini spares a thing over there? What's the fine/sentence for driving with one non-matching tire?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fummins For This Useful Post:

daleWV (06-25-2023),mohammad (06-25-2023)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    Are mini spares a thing over there? What's the fine/sentence for driving with one non-matching tire?
    Google quote -
    "There's only one country in the EU where you need to carry a spare tyre, and this is Spain."

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummins View Post
    The never ending efforts to make a cheap thing even cheaper is the way it goes everywhere. Many car makers sell you a mini-sized and less useful spare. But it goes even worse: Mitsubishi here puts a cheap 12V compressor plus a can of gooey stuff in the trunk as a way to rig a flat. Not even a anything for lifting the car. The goo loses its properties after about five years and must be replaced. $$$
    The mini tyre replacement is only allowed for driveing directly to a workshop. To drive with the wrong size tyre forfeits the car's type approval. Without a type approval you are automatically a criminal because your cars insurance is void. I have two sets of tyres, summer/winter, and one of the other sort is my spare, although it is illegal to drive summer tyres in winter.

I kinda figured that. Once again, I'm glad big brother isn't that controlling over here in that regard. At least not yet...I can put 4 different sized tires on my car, airbag light on, engine light on, floor full of water, roof dented in, bouncing of the bump stops cause it's overloaded, cracked windshield, fist sized rust holes in the 1/4 panels, no cat converter, broken coil spring, no sway bar, no e-brake, and it's fine. Only some of the above applies to right now but give it time...

Whoops wrong thread....
    Last edited by Fummins; 06-26-2023 at 03:31 PM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE wussie cvt edition. 1.2 automatic: 37.7 mpg (US) ... 16.0 km/L ... 6.2 L/100 km ... 45.3 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    So much for good intentions. I recall seeing this thread, posting in it and being determined to build storage.

It never happened and the hatch area of my Mirage became like Area 51, nobody really knows what's there.

Doh, the major safety reason I wanted to clear the hatch area is to no longer carry gas cans in the passenger compartment. My tongue box will hold the 10 L gas can nicely. If I don't pull a trailer I can use my rear rack with storage bins to carry gas cans. But I really need to get busy and build the storage box for all the stuff I carry all the time, tools, heavy poncho, (ever change a flat in a downpour?) emergency markers, tow strap (to get towed OUT, don't think our beasts could ever free another car from a ditch but ya never know...), boosters, LION booster, oil/funnel, shop rags. It's crazy how much I think I need.

I lost a good friend because she was hit and had a full 5 g gas can in the trunk that ruptured, instantly filling the cabin with fire. She didn't stand a chance. I see vehicles with roof racks and a 10 l gas can up top and think, "good on you"

Zero, 2014 ES Plus 5MT, written off but not forgotten.
    Zero II, 2014 SE, 5MT, climate She's HOME now!
    Shelby AKA "Cute", 2017 ES 5MT, A/C.

Mirage owners look at the world differently than everyone else, but in a better way
    We're driving the Beetle of the 21st century, the greatest small car now available!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2017 Mirage ES PLus 1.2 manual: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)