Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh, CVT problems! (Update: replaced under warranty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonster View Post
    Makes me wonder if viruses on USB sticks can affect the car's computer when connected to the USB port.
    Very unlikely. A virus (or even malware) has to be written to exploit a specific program or system.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by fatcat View Post
    might have been comical to have watched the tech perform the wiggle test

All that is done with a wiggle test is to grab ahold of suspect wires and wiggle them while the vehicle is running. If a CEL is triggered then you've got a short in one of the wires. I've done this test many times and have found some strange things in the past.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Re-uh oh! Or Uh Oh part 2! The car did the same thing Thursday morning on the way to work.

Per Mitsubishi Engineering they are going to replace BOTH the ECU (computer) AND the CVT transmission.

They claim that this has not happened to any other units, and they want to examine both parts at Mitsubishi Engineering.

Yee haw huh. I will have a Hyundai Sonata Limited for at LEAST two weeks!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DonHoot For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-09-2014)

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Wow , that's a shame . Maybe you should demand a new vehicle . A leftover '14 or '15 . Good luck .

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cinder View Post
    Wow , that's a shame . Maybe you should demand a new vehicle . A leftover '14 or '15 . Good luck .
    Doesnt qualify for lemon law yet. If they are making a genuine attempt to fix it (replacing the ECU and CVT its self doesnt seem like they are cheaping out on you, I think Mitsu has a vested interest in fixing their reputation) then I don't really think this is something to get too huffy about yet.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by db1980 View Post
    Doesnt qualify for lemon law yet. If they are making a genuine attempt to fix it (replacing the ECU and CVT its self doesnt seem like they are cheaping out on you, I think Mitsu has a vested interest in fixing their reputation) then I don't really think this is something to get too huffy about yet.
    I wholeheartedly concur! Plus I'll shed 10000 miles off my CVT

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Well, that stinks to hear that the problem is back. But it is good to see Mitsu handling it with poise.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by DonHoot View Post
    They claim that this has not happened to any other units, and they want to examine both parts at Mitsubishi Engineering.
    Not really the kind of pioneer I'd want to be though.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 63.2 mpg (US) ... 26.9 km/L ... 3.7 L/100 km ... 75.9 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    Not really the kind of pioneer I'd want to be though.

I am cautious at what I am told by manufactures. I have dealt with Toyota on a known problem on the 2nd gen Xb cars where it would stutter at 35 mph on a flat road. Toyota first claimed that my problem was the first they had ever heard of it (this was a regional service rep I was talking to) only to find out that multiple people on a Scion forum I was on had taken their Xb in for the exact same reason. Later the dealer service rep admitted that every Xb they had on the lot did the same thing. A week later Toyota called me and said they will not work on the car again due to this not being a problem. I asked if the car was programmed to stutter and that it was normal. No comment was the regional service rep's response.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    That's why I said "They claim" in my post. I imagine quite a few corporations like to keep problems "in house" so to speak. Just recently the whole key issue with G.M. being just one example I can site.

It's consequently hard to trust, but I have to rely on their ability to repair this issue. What else can I do for now but keep everything well documented.

Peace !