Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Uh-oh, CVT problems! (Update: replaced under warranty)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    As someone else mentioned in this thread, this is the first time anyone on here has heard of this problem. Yes, it is a first model year in the US, but it has been in use overseas since 2012. The only widespread defect I have seen is the CVT models having starter engagement issues. Defects happen. Mitsu is replacing the ECU AND CVT under warranty, no questions asked, after one visit to the dealer. They are not blaming it on the driver, not trying to bandaid the issue, I have seen manufacturers handle things much worse.... this to me seems to be pretty a pretty stellar response to a problem that isnt necessarily life and limb threatening.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The one thing you do have on your side is the number of CVT failures we have seen here. So far, you're the only one I'm aware of. I hope that's a good sign. This forum is way more active than the Chevy Spark forum, and issues with that car ade reported on the forum all the time. If there were mass problems they were covering up or hiding, we would see then here already. A company (like GM) may ignore a problem as long as it can, but it can't stop (yet) average people from uncovering the truth. Based on lack of evidence to the contrary that Mitsu may be on the positive side of honest on your issue.

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHoot View Post
    That's why I said "They claim" in my post. I imagine quite a few corporations like to keep problems "in house" so to speak. Just recently the whole key issue with G.M. being just one example I can site.

It's consequently hard to trust, but I have to rely on their ability to repair this issue. What else can I do for now but keep everything well documented.

Peace !

Exactly!!
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Love the way Mitsu is handling the situation.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    O.K.! Got my Mirage back today! Here's the transcript of the service order:

Verified trans concern, Concern reset after 50 miles
    P0876 set again
    Called tech line case # 173528
    After checking all connections again
    Advised to replace Trans ASSY and Trans Controller
    Replace Trans assy
    Filled to spec's
    Replaced trans controller
    Road Test
    Operating normal

The service writer said over 7000 dollars was charged to the warranty!

Keeping my fingers and toes crossed for the trip to work tomorrow!!

I also had the LOF done and was charged 57.38 total. How does that sound? I was told the 0w oil is total synthetic and is 6.75 per unit and was charged for 5 units. This can't be quarts can it?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DonHoot For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-16-2014),R01k (10-17-2014)

How can this possibly be a $7000 fix?

Thanks for the update!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    If they charge close to $500 to make a spare key, $7000 for transmission seems to be a deal. LOL.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage de 1.2 automatic: 52.8 mpg (US) ... 22.4 km/L ... 4.5 L/100 km ... 63.4 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    How can this possibly be a $7000 fix?

Thanks for the update!

Keep in mind that this is for a new transmission, transmission control module, labor to install it all, and more than likely expedited shipping for it all too.

If the transmission listed for about $4000, then the transmission control module probably lists for about $1k, then you add in labor at an average rate of $100 an hour and it makes sense as to how it could add up to $7k.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Phantasmagoria
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Hey There! Well I actually made it to work and back.

And yes they did do expedited shipping from Malaysia so that was probably very costly.

I didn't list it but they also had to refill the radiator as it looks like hoses from it go to the CVT for cooling.

The service writer also did say they doubled on the labor so it would be expedited, they were quite nice and very apologetic about the whole issue. So I give them a big thumbs up so far !

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DonHoot For This Useful Post:

91cavgt (10-16-2014)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DonHoot View Post
    Hey There! Well I actually made it to work and back.

And yes they did do expedited shipping from Malaysia so that was probably very costly.

I didn't list it but they also had to refill the radiator as it looks like hoses from it go to the CVT for cooling.

The service writer also did say they doubled on the labor so it would be expedited, they were quite nice and very apologetic about the whole issue. So I give them a big thumbs up so far !
    This soothes my nagging fears about my 2015 mirage. Sparky only has 400 miles and is a five speed, but manufacturing defects happen, especially on something as complex as a car.