Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How does Mirage do on mountain passes?

Country
    United States
    Thanks

How does Mirage do on mountain passes?

There may be a few members either from or traveling through the mountain states. Would any of you care to comment on the Mirage,s abilities going up (and maybe down) the passes. Can it accelerate going up? How does it do from an on ramp? Is the cruising speed limited by the slope? Will the trans hold the speed down enough so you don't need to ride the breaks on the down slope? If there is slope gradient info available you might include it.

Thanks for your input!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 48.1 mpg (US) ... 20.5 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have the manual trans, and find that as long as the rpm's are at around 2500 or more, I have zero problems going up the local mountain road. I can usually put it in 4th at the bottom and go right up as long as I stay at or above 40 mph in that gear. Not sure of the grade on the mini mountain here in my area, but they close it in snowstorms.

Down, I just coast or ride the brakes, lol...

On ramps, same thing. I can usually merge in 4th gear at or over 40 mph, then I have plenty of power to get up to highway speed from there. This car likes the higher rpm's. Sweet spot is over 3000.

I know these cars are only 75 hp, but they weigh less than 2000 lbs. So that makes it not so bad.

-Ed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 43.1 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I sometimes have trouble not going over 120 km/h on the highway, merge on the highway in the second gear, easy.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 40.8 mpg (US) ... 17.4 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 49.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Don't expect to pass anyone uphill, and steep slopes will require downshifting and braking before turns. I've found it's pretty average. Eventually I'll be stiffening the suspension a bit so I can tackle a tight, twisty touge.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ed100 View Post
    On ramps, same thing. I can usually merge in 4th gear at or over 40 mph, then I have plenty of power to get up to highway speed from there. This car likes the higher rpm's. Sweet spot is over 3000.
    Second that, often revs up to 5.500 rpm before change gear (usually 1st and 2nd gear)

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I rarely take mine past 3k myself, but that's old habits and fuel saving. I have noticed this motor likes to rev, so I've been working on changing habits from shifting at 2k to 3k.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Netherlands
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cani Lupine View Post
    I rarely take mine past 3k myself, but that's old habits and fuel saving. I have noticed this motor likes to rev, so I've been working on changing habits from shifting at 2k to 3k.
    Depends on the mood ;-) Usually does it when entering the highway

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.0 manual: 47.5 mpg (US) ... 20.2 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 57.0 mpg (Imp)

Car Guru
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I wish I had a manual.

There is one steep hill here in town. The speed limit on this road is 40 mph. I usually slow down to 25-27 mph at the top of the hill and coast to the bottom of the hill. Once at the bottom of the hill, the car is going at about 42 mph.

If I hit this same hill doing 40 mph, then put the CVT transmission in B mode (engine brake mode) then it slows the car down to about 33 mph at the bottom of the hill without touching the brakes.

As far as power goes, the town I live in is at about 650' of elevation so I have never experienced a time when the car was low on power. Unlike my old Metro, I don't have to plan ahead when it comes to getting on to a local interstate highway.
    Certified holder of useless car knowledge.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I have a manual. Mountains around Denver are not too bad. Keep the revs up and you are ok. My AC absolutely kills any power I have, but if you are used to driving any 90's imports, its not really dissimilar from that.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I agree, the AC condenser saps a LOT of power. That's the only reason I'm somewhat thankful for an electronic throttle, since it automatically opens it more to compensate for the power drop when cruising, but I rarely ever use the AC or defroster because of that.