View Poll Results: Would you prefer the Mirage had less body roll?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

73 80.22%
  • No, it's fine

18 19.78%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: VOTE: Would you prefer the stock Mirage had less body roll?

Country
    United States
    Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    db1980 & MiMi -

Point taken.

(Though I don't think $500 is a realistic estimate of the cost of reducing body roll, when it can be done in the aftermarket for a fraction of that amount. And Mitsu can do it in volume for a fraction of that amount yet again.)

I struggled a bit with the poll wording (I revised it several times already). I like the "does it bother you" idea, but even that doesn't quite fit, because truth be told, I could live with the car the way it is too. It doesn't bother me enough to not want the car, even if there were no aftermarket solutions.

But in the bigger picture, I think it's hurting the car's public perception (and ultimately sales) because this issue consistently adds to the negativity in more than a few reviews. So it's more than just "does it bother me".
    Interesting point.
    I feel that technically Mitsubishi is right. But...strategically, it appears they have made a bad move.

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    I hate my Mirage's body roll with a passion.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2013 Mirage 1.2 automatic: 39.0 mpg (US) ... 16.6 km/L ... 6.0 L/100 km ... 46.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Australia
    Thanks
    To the people who say it isn't very bad:
    Swerve in one lane left to right, then feel how much roll is happening. Gets to the point where the electronic stabiliser thing wants to kick in.
    My mate was amazed how much it has, his 25 year old car has none at all, but he has coilovers which would help a lot.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
    db1980 & MiMi -

Point taken.

(Though I don't think $500 is a realistic estimate of the cost of reducing body roll, when it can be done in the aftermarket for a fraction of that amount. And Mitsu can do it in volume for a fraction of that amount yet again.)

I struggled a bit with the poll wording (I revised it several times already). I like the "does it bother you" idea, but even that doesn't quite fit, because truth be told, I could live with the car the way it is too. It doesn't bother me enough to not want the car, even if there were no aftermarket solutions.

But in the bigger picture, I think it's hurting the car's public perception (and ultimately sales) because this issue consistently adds to the negativity in more than a few reviews. So it's more than just "does it bother me".
    Since when has a manufacturer ever charged real world prices for their options/accessories? Yeah, in reality it would probably cost them $100 to add a sway bar, but if it were on an option list, I would be really surprised if it was less than $500. I think the majority of people who buy a new car (subaru WRX types excluded) would not want to do any aftermarket modifications - be it for lack of resources\skill, lack of caring (the "its an appliance" people), or just not wanting to mess with a brand new vehicle.

I would prefer it have less body roll. The loss of a little suspension softness is a tradeoff I would take. Would I pay $500 extra for a sport handling package, installed by Mitsu, with OEM parts that is wrapped into the financing, yeah probably. I also understand the people that use this car strictly for a city car have no use for this upgrade. I however find it unnerving to take a highway ramp at normal speed, hit a bump and feel the car lose its composure. Yeah you get used to it, but I wish it was better in that aspect.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the people on this board either bought or are seriously considering the car, and the numbers are already in the "yes" camp. I wonder how many people didnt buy the car in which the handling was a serious factor in their decision.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I bought the car knowing the suspension was trash. But, that's part of a blank canvas. Now, it's finding a set of springs with the spring rates I want in a price I can afford. Found some Ebay ones, but the rears are stiffer than the front, which doesn't make any logical sense with the car's weight bias.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 49.2 mpg (US) ... 20.9 km/L ... 4.8 L/100 km ... 59.1 mpg (Imp)

Quote Originally Posted by db1980 View Post
    if it were on an option list, I would be really surprised if it was less than $500.
    I think less body roll should be standard on the Mirage.

Dual stabilizer bars were standard on my ridiculously basic, zero-options Metro/Firefly. Dual bars are standard on the $9998 zero-options Canadian Nissan Micra (the only country where that's the case, and incidentally, it's outselling the Mirage more than 2 to 1).

Strategically, maybe Mitsu should have offered an optional "suspension package", and made sure it was fitted to ALL the cars they loaned out to reviewers. That way they could have (1) kept the MSRP down, (2) minimized media grumbling about body roll, (3) charged an exorbitant amount to owners wishing to upgrade. Win, win, win!

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    I voted for less body roll. That said, it isn't a big issue for me. I'd pay $250 more for the stabilizer bar, give or take. Maybe Mitsubishi could offer that rear bar as a dealer installed accessory thus making everyone happy (we could choose between cheaper or sportier).

Ha! I just read what Metro posted. Ooops. He seems very smart.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 manual: 45.0 mpg (US) ... 19.1 km/L ... 5.2 L/100 km ... 54.1 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I added wider lower profile tires and rims to the car. With the wider tracking it made a world of difference in cornering and roll. These cars are so light if they added a stiffer suspension to lessen the body roll it would probably bounce your kidneys out. I see offering a sport suspension package as an upgrade a much better option.

Quote Originally Posted by db1980 View Post
    the people on this board either bought or are seriously considering the car, and the numbers are already in the "yes" camp. I wonder how many people didnt buy the car in which the handling was a serious factor in their decision.
    Actually, one forum member already got rid of his Mirage after driving a direct competitor (Suzuki Swift, in N.Z.). Suspension was a big complaint.

The mirage has never liked corners. With lots of under steer, body roll and lots of uncontrolled and unexpected twitching of the chassis/suspension. Where as the swift felt composed. It cornered without drama. In a smooth flat controlled manner.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 62.4 mpg (US) ... 26.5 km/L ... 3.8 L/100 km ... 74.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Body roll and poor steering response are a few reasons we've passed on a MIRAGE . A shame .