Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I'm familiar with the style you are referring to, older Mercedes engines have something similar; I've installed shims in them. At least with those you could leave the cam installed with you depressed rocker arm and installed the shims. I would like to see one these torn apart to be certain they are hydraulic. It doesn't sound good to have a design like this, though. What is the longevity of an engine like this, and what is going to happen to the MPG when these wear?

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    So the dimensional difference is in the buckets? In my 73 Alfa, you pulled the cams after measuring and recording the gap, the replaced the shims which were between the head of the valve and the bucket. with the cam lobe working against the flat top of the bucket to open the valve.
    Only difference with the Mirage is there is no shim. The difference is in the buckets themselves. You pull both cams to change the buckets which changes the valve lash.
    They will probably wear like the Alfa probably .001 per 150k miles. As long as the range of lash is sufficient like the Sentra's .010 to .023, then you will never adjust the valves in 500k miles.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by old mechanic View Post
    So the dimensional difference is in the buckets? In my 73 Alfa, you pulled the cams after measuring and recording the gap, the replaced the shims which were between the head of the valve and the bucket. with the cam lobe working against the flat top of the bucket to open the valve.
    Only difference with the Mirage is there is no shim. The difference is in the buckets themselves. You pull both cams to change the buckets which changes the valve lash.
    They will probably wear like the Alfa probably .001 per 150k miles. As long as the range of lash is sufficient like the Sentra's .010 to .023, then you will never adjust the valves in 500k miles.

regards
    mech
    That's good to hear, I hope it turns out that way. The dealer in Vancouver has some information for me, I'll try to stop by and pick it up in the morning and will post here on what it says.

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    That's good to hear, I hope it turns out that way. The dealer in Vancouver has some information for me, I'll try to stop by and pick it up in the morning and will post here on what it says.
    I'm interested to hear what the info is.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2014 Mirage SE 1.2 automatic: 46.4 mpg (US) ... 19.7 km/L ... 5.1 L/100 km ... 55.8 mpg (Imp)

Country
    Canada
    Thanks
    Im in for info aswell im at 29000km

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Is anyone getting this service performed? The manual can be confusing, this is the answer Mitsubishi gave me regarding my 2014 Mirage;
    "
    Thank you for emailing Mitsubishi Motors North America. The service to inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance is not a service required for your vehicle due to your engine size. Thank you again for your email and providing us the opportunity to assist you. Please see below our current offers that we have included for being a valued Mitsubishi customer.

I have been reading reviews of the Mirage that state that valve lash inspection/adjustment is required every 30,000 miles to the tune of $299.00 at the dealership.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,804 Times in 1,017 Posts
    Its not required. There is literally nothing to adjust.
    Custom Mirage products: Cruise control kit, Glove box light, MAF sensor housing, Rear sway bar, Upper grill block

Current project: DIY Nitrous oxide setup for ~$100

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 manual: 47.2 mpg (US) ... 20.1 km/L ... 5.0 L/100 km ... 56.7 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016)

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Milano View Post
    Is anyone getting this service performed? The manual can be confusing, this is the answer Mitsubishi gave me regarding my 2014 Mirage;
    "
    Thank you for emailing Mitsubishi Motors North America. The service to inspect and adjust intake and exhaust valve clearance is not a service required for your vehicle due to your engine size. Thank you again for your email and providing us the opportunity to assist you. Please see below our current offers that we have included for being a valued Mitsubishi customer.

I have been reading reviews of the Mirage that state that valve lash inspection/adjustment is required every 30,000 miles to the tune of $299.00 at the dealership.
    Save the email. if something goes wrong show them the email. In that case it will be their fault for misleading you

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cleartec For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanks, have come to understand that after seeing the diagrams. Can be confusing for some, regarding the verbiage in the manual and article on the vehicle like this.

"Buried deep within the maintenance schedule is an unfortunate reality that all three-cylinder car owners must endure: valve adjustments. In the Mirage's case, this procedure is recommended roughly every 30,000 miles. The owner’s manual asks you to listen for a ticking noise and adjust when needed, "if valve noise increases adjust valve clearance," which is legal shorthand for, "if you don't do it and it breaks, too bad." The cost of this service at the dealership is $299 which, over the course of seven visits, would come to well over $2,000. As a guy who deals with dealers every single day, I don't see any of them not recommending this service."

Country
    Denmark
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Milano View Post
    Thanks, have come to understand that after seeing the diagrams. Can be confusing for some, regarding the verbiage in the manual and article on the vehicle like this.

"Buried deep within the maintenance schedule is an unfortunate reality that all three-cylinder car owners must endure: valve adjustments. In the Mirage's case, this procedure is recommended roughly every 30,000 miles. The owner’s manual asks you to listen for a ticking noise and adjust when needed, "if valve noise increases adjust valve clearance," which is legal shorthand for, "if you don't do it and it breaks, too bad." The cost of this service at the dealership is $299 which, over the course of seven visits, would come to well over $2,000. As a guy who deals with dealers every single day, I don't see any of them not recommending this service."
    Then it is needed

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage Intense 1.2 manual: 47.9 mpg (US) ... 20.4 km/L ... 4.9 L/100 km ... 57.6 mpg (Imp)