Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by adrew View Post
    That doesn't apply to the valves - that means that no adjustments to idle speed (done with a screw back in the day) and things like that are necessary.
    You are probably right, but this label IS where valve lash specifications would be found, along with plug gap, idle speed, etc. Since it lists none of this and flatly says "NO ADJUSTMENTS REQUIRED", it may mean...well, precisely that. You'd think if the valves were meant to be adjusted, something like "SEE DEALER" would appear on the label.

And if somebody got an email from Mitsu saying valve adjustments aren't necessary, I guess that would seal it for me.

Does this engine really have solid lifters? That is something normally only found on high performance motors. Why? Because hydraulic lifters can 'under-pump' or 'over-pump' during very high RPM operation, and this can negatively affect performance.

I don't think anyone would call the 3A92 a 'high-performance' motor. Hell, does the Evo even have solid lifters?

Last edited by Cobrajet; 01-30-2016 at 11:04 AM.

Garage empty: add car
    Thanks
    Basically very similar to my old 93 Sentra. Valve lash was something like .023 with minimum allowable at half that or .012. Expect something like .001 wear every 100k as I saw on my 1973 Alfa in 100k miles. Basically that is 1 million miles between adjustments and if you ever get to that point the engine will need much more than a simple valve adjustment. Set the valves at the maximum allowable dimension and forget it.

Big difference between an adjustment and a check. If you ever do an adjustment, you might as well replace the timing chain while you are in there removing both camshafts. Valves wear at the seats and the valve face that contacts the seat. When you do a valve job and grind the seats and valve contact surfaces, then you need to grind or replace the "buckets" to get back to the original maximum spec.

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    You are probably right, but this label IS where valve lash specifications would be found, along with plug gap, idle speed, etc. Since it lists none of this and flatly says "NO ADJUSTMENTS REQUIRED", it may mean...well, precisely that. You'd think if the valves were meant to be adjusted, something like "SEE DEALER" would appear on the label.

And if somebody got an email from Mitsu saying valve adjustments aren't necessary, I guess that would seal it for me.

Does this engine really have solid lifters? That is something normally only found on high performance motors. Why? Because hydraulic lifters can 'under-pump' or 'over-pump' during very high RPM operation, and this can negatively affect performance.

I don't think anyone would call the 3A92 a 'high-performance' motor. Hell, does the Evo even have solid lifters?
    Solid lifters are ancient tech.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_tappet

regards
    mech

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage de 1.2 manual: 55.7 mpg (US) ... 23.7 km/L ... 4.2 L/100 km ... 66.9 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    True. But hydraulic lifters are ancient tech, too. Solid lifters are usually only used in particular situations nowadays...hell, even back in the '60s they were only used for certain applications. Manufacturers love hydraulic lifters because they preclude the need for valve lash to be set manually on cars when they leave the factory. You start the new engine, the valves clatter and rattle for a few seconds, and then they are set. Forever.

I can find valve adjustment procedures for the 4B engines (so the Evo does have them), as well as an assortment of lifter buckets in different sizes which are used to do it. Solid lifters make sense on the 4B, since the Evo motor redlines at something like 7500 rpm. I can find NOTHING of the kind for either the 3A or 4A engines; both have been around since about 2004.

Somebody somewhere would have done this procedure by now...right?

Thanks
    Set when rebuilt and forget. Same system Nissan has used for decades. They key is the range of tolerance allowed which is huge. In the link posted it was stated that the first hydraulic lifters were in the Cadillac V16 of 1932. Modern use of hydraulic lifters is basically due to the complexity of exposing the valves for any adjustment.

The actual procedure for adjusting hydraulic lifters in a small block Chevy is to preload the lifters 1/4 turn two or three times then let them compensate. Makes the engine miss for a few seconds but you are getting the lifter off the max length stop.

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/w...raulic_lifters

You should try reading the provided linkis

regards
    mech

Thanks
    My under hood sticker clearly states "no adjustments". When there is an adjustment REQUIRED as preventive maintenance, the clearances are on the under hood sticker.

This is exactly the same as my 93 Sentra, which never had the valve cover gasket replaced, much less any valve adjustment, in close to 200k miles. One reason why I never cared for Hondas was the timing belt required as well as valve lash adjustment. In their arrgonace Honda did not even make the engine non interference, which Toyota did across their product line.

Toyota breaks, replace belt set timing.
    Honda breaks replace the engine.

Up to 1994 Nissan Maximas I have found pieces of piston skirt in the oil pan when the timing belt broke. After 1994 they went to chains and an alloy block.

regards
    mech

7. The Following User Says Thank You to deleted user For This Useful Post:

BRagland (02-01-2016)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkshev View Post
    I went to the dealer today to clear this whole issue of valve adjustment. The Mivec engine has VVT or variable valve timing system in it. I like and hate VVT's cause if your motor starts making noise its one of a few things. The VVT valve isn't working right, the chain became stretched or the tensioner for the chain isn't working properly anymore. We replaced hundreds of these parts on Mazda CX-7 engines all the time years ago.
    So asking the service advisor at my local Mitsubishi dealer, (3 miles from my house) said that the info in the maintenance guide says that applies to older engines. And since I drive 1000 miles a week and its hot in florida most the time I might consider getting my cvt fluid serviced at 60,000 miles instead of the recommended 120,000 miles. Which costs 160.00.
    CVT only $160?

My local Mitsu dealer told me it was $450 for CVT. I balked and said, hell no. I still need to call up the other dealers around and ask them their price on this.

Also, the manual doesn't have any guidance, except on the "Extreme" chart, which says 30,000 miles (I'm quoting from memory). Where'd you get 120,000 miles from?

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

Software Engineer
    Country
    United States
    Thanks
    It seems settled then: Follow the sticker on the hood.

The manual is a manual they "slightly modified" for each car, and obviously the manual guys miss some things.

Here's my conclusion:

1. Hood sticker says NO ADJUSTMENTS
    2. Mitsubishi E-mail said: NO ADJUSTMENTS
    3. Mechanics and Engineers with Experience Say: NO ADJUSTMENTS

Conclusion: NO ADJUSTMENTS.

Leave it alone people. Are you really trying to find something else to spend money on, for a car that is, well, cheap to begin with?

And if Mitsu denied a warranty claim because of it, take them to court. You cannot spec two different things, in two different places, and call fowl when the owner doesn't know which one to follow. That is deceptive trade practice. Period. You will win, and triple suit damages exist almost everywhere in the US, so they'd be buying you a brand new car if they decided to mess with you over something like this. I've been to court for car issues before. It's not hard to beat them. Just takes balls.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 51.7 mpg (US) ... 22.0 km/L ... 4.6 L/100 km ... 62.0 mpg (Imp)

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRagland For This Useful Post:

gone.a (02-01-2016),johane (08-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BRagland View Post
    It seems settled then: Follow the sticker on the hood.

The manual is a manual they "slightly modified" for each car, and obviously the manual guys miss some things.

Here's my conclusion:

1. Hood sticker says NO ADJUSTMENTS
    2. Mitsubishi E-mail said: NO ADJUSTMENTS
    3. Mechanics and Engineers with Experience Say: NO ADJUSTMENTS

Conclusion: NO ADJUSTMENTS.

Leave it alone people. Are you really trying to find something else to spend money on, for a car that is, well, cheap to begin with?

And if Mitsu denied a warranty claim because of it, take them to court. You cannot spec two different things, in two different places, and call fowl when the owner doesn't know which one to follow. That is deceptive trade practice. Period. You will win, and triple suit damages exist almost everywhere in the US, so they'd be buying you a brand new car if they decided to mess with you over something like this. I've been to court for car issues before. It's not hard to beat them. Just takes balls.
    I agree. Plus...

4. Nobody on the planet with internet access seems to have ever actually done the procedure, so: NO ADJUSTMENTS

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Valve lash

Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    I agree. Plus...

4. Nobody on the planet with internet access seems to have ever actually done the procedure, so: NO ADJUSTMENTS
    Yeah, why would anyone ever bother checking their valve clearances. Makes no sense to me.

Last edited by 3A92driver; 02-08-2016 at 12:53 AM. Reason: WTF was I thinking