Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    MightyMirageMpg has pointed out in this post that the service manual has a procedure for checking valve clearance. It can be found in section 11A, and starts on page 13. It goes over checking the clearance of each valve and how to calculate the appropriate tappet for proper clearance.

So valve adjustments are done by replacing the valve tappets. Thanks MightyMirageMpg for pointing this out.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Im beginning to wonder if owning a Mirage is more trouble than it is worth? The mpg is great but reading this thread and other threads is making me question the long term value in this car. None of these problems applies to a Yaris, and many other cars out there....but of course you dont get the mpg of a Mirage. I went and sat in a 2017 today at a dealer in PA...they forgot to lock the doors and I still love the Mirage but hearing peoples experiences makes me pause.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IwantaMirage For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,824 Times in 2,130 Posts
    I'm not certain I understand your concerns. I am not aware of any forum member who has had their engine's valves adjusted. As a member once asserted, he doesn't expect any adjustments will be necessary for the life of the engine. But, perhaps I misunderstand you?

Reading over this thread, I see a lot of questions and confusion, but no valve train failures.
    Last edited by Eggman; 08-22-2016 at 01:41 AM.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (08-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    I'm not certain I understand your concerns. I am not aware of any forum member who has had their engine's valves adjusted. As a member once asserted, he doesn't expect any adjustments will be necessary for the life of the engine. But, perhaps I misunderstand you?
    Reading thru these pages on this thread makes me wonder why this valve issue was so unclear to so many people, the sticker says it is a needed service, turns out it may not be needed, the sticker on the mirage refers to older engines? .......also reading the other threads and hearing about the other issues people are having just makes me stop and think that maybe there are better options for similar money. For instance I just found a Scion iA online locally for $15,900. That car handles VERY well, gets over 40mpg, 106hp 4 cyl, manual shifter from Mazda (need I say more? They make the best sportiest manuals in the business.) sedan witha 60/40 folding rear seat, standard back up camera and modern infotainment display and Toyota/Mazda collaborative reliability and fun factor....plus they do not deny warranty claims like Mitsubishi has been reported to be doing...I am not trying to be negative... Im trying to be a realist. No suspension mods are needed on an iA, that car rocks! I test drove one last year.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    you could possibly get a short bus for the same money? lots of us paid well sub $10k....

althoug my experience this far has been mixed, I am very happy with the car design itself.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Im beginning to wonder if owning a Mirage is more trouble than it is worth? The mpg is great but reading this thread and other threads is making me question the long term value in this car. None of these problems applies to a Yaris, and many other cars out there....but of course you dont get the mpg of a Mirage. I went and sat in a 2017 today at a dealer in PA...they forgot to lock the doors and I still love the Mirage but hearing peoples experiences makes me pause.
    You have to take the problems in context. The very nature of forums is that many people only join because they have problems. If you peruse Spark forums, Prius forums, Soul forums you'll find a range of issues. Yes the Mirage has it's flaws. But with over 200,000 Mirages built in 2014 & 2015 consider our forum numbers: Members1,557Active Members183. Out of the 183 active members there have only a few mechanical issues. The one thing that no member has reported is a major engine failure. The 3A92
    is an excellent motor. There have been a few problems with manual transmissions being notchy to shift and there have been a few clutches that have needed replacement. The CVT's seem to be very reliable with some members reporting some harsh initial takeoff issues but those are few and far between. Yes the 2014's and some 2015's had rear axle alignment issues. Yes the 2014 & 2015 have under sized brakes but I have a 2015 and have no complaints. The Mirage is a simple frugal car. Doesn't handle great but is very efficient and inexpensive to operate. Exactly the kind of car I wanted.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

Eggman (08-22-2016),MiMi (08-22-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,565 Times in 1,122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IwantaMirage View Post
    Reading thru these pages on this thread makes me wonder why this valve issue was so unclear to so many people, the sticker says it is a needed service, turns out it may not be needed, the sticker on the mirage refers to older engines? .......also reading the other threads and hearing about the other issues people are having just makes me stop and think that maybe there are better options for similar money. For instance I just found a Scion iA online locally for $15,900. That car handles VERY well, gets over 40mpg, 106hp 4 cyl, manual shifter from Mazda (need I say more? They make the best sportiest manuals in the business.) sedan witha 60/40 folding rear seat, standard back up camera and modern infotainment display and Toyota/Mazda collaborative reliability and fun factor....plus they do not deny warranty claims like Mitsubishi has been reported to be doing...I am not trying to be negative... Im trying to be a realist. No suspension mods are needed on an iA, that car rocks! I test drove one last year.
    We have members with over 100k on the odometer and no valve issues or adjustments. It's a non issue.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    We have members with over 100k on the odometer and no valve issues or adjustments. It's a non issue.
    Good to know, thanks. I am still in love with the Mirage, love the pure simplicity of it, the gas mpg, and want to make an informed decision when I trade in my car.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I don't understand this entire thread. The valves are hydraulic and self adjusting. You don't adjust them. This isn't a dirt bike engine from the 80s... The only time you would have to preload them, is if the engine was rebuilt.

The manual shows an adjustment in the schedule for the smaller less common engine sold in Japan.

Source: I have adjusted the intake and exhaust valves on dirt bike engines before

An easy way to tell on any new vehicle is to lift up the hood. There's a sticker right there that says no adjustment needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    MightyMirageMpg has pointed out in this post that the service manual has a procedure for checking valve clearance. It can be found in section 11A, and starts on page 13. It goes over checking the clearance of each valve and how to calculate the appropriate tappet for proper clearance.

So valve adjustments are done by replacing the valve tappets. Thanks MightyMirageMpg for pointing this out.
    When a tappet style valve is adjustable, you loosen the lock nut and adjust the clearance while using a feeler gauge for spec, then retighten the lock nut. There is a shim type valve adjustment that is commonly used in crotch rockets mainly to give the end user an expensive service for job security. Most modern engines use a hydraulic lifter valves which are self adjusting. They don't need to be pre loaded unless the engine is rebuilt.
    Last edited by HitShane; 12-06-2016 at 06:12 AM.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,849 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    I don't understand this entire thread. The valves are hydraulic and self adjusting. You don't adjust them. This isn't a dirt bike engine from the 80s... The only time you would have to preload them, is if the engine was rebuilt.

An easy way to tell on any new vehicle is to lift up the hood. There's a sticker right there that says no adjustment needed.
    They are not hydraulic...they are of the 'solid lifter' type. Clearance is set at the factory. But either way, they require no routine adjustment. Valve clearance specs are given in the service manual for the purpose of engine rebuilding, and a way to check the clearances is also listed as a diagnostic aid in case there is a problem with engine noise, etc.

The valves require no adjustments. Somebody here even emailed Mitsubishi about it, and they said the same thing...no adjustments.

I have 52k on mine, and the engine is really no noisier than it was when I bought it. You guys worry too much!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

poorman1 (02-27-2017)