Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Cobrajet View Post
    They are not hydraulic...they are of the 'solid lifter' type. Clearance is set at the factory. But either way, they require no routine adjustment. Valve clearance specs are given in the service manual for the purpose of engine rebuilding, and a way to check the clearances is also listed as a diagnostic aid in case there is a problem with engine noise, etc.

The valves require no adjustments. Somebody here even emailed Mitsubishi about it, and they said the same thing...no adjustments.

I have 52k on mine, and the engine is really no noisier than it was when I bought it. You guys worry too much!
    Lol the stealership told me they were hydraulic. After some research into the four-cylinder, that the three cylinder is actually modeled after; they are solid. There is no lash though, so they can't be adjusted by the user.

I will say that noisy (tappy) valves are happy valves. When you can't hear them anymore (valves get tighter not looser) that's when you have a problem...

If your valves tighten up all the way, then they don't open at all, and the engine won't start or run.

Fun fact, on most new engines when you think you're hearing the valves tapping, you're actually hearing the injectors operating.

Last edited by HitShane; 12-06-2016 at 06:43 AM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

johane (08-31-2020),mitsumi (02-28-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    Lol the stealership told me they were hydraulic. After some research into the four-cylinder, that the three cylinder is actually modeled after; they are solid. There is no lash though, so they can't be adjusted by the user.

I will say that noisy (tappy) valves are happy valves. When you can't hear them anymore (valves get tighter not looser) that's when you have a problem...

If your valves tighten up all the way, then they don't open at all, and the engine won't start or run.

Fun fact, on most new engines when you think you're hearing the valves tapping, you're actually hearing the injectors operating.
    There definitely is lash. It's not a part, its a term used to describe the slack in the valvetrain.

ide hope anyone talking about valve adjustments can tell the difference between a injector click and a lifter tick can always use a stethoscope, if your not sure.

Hopefully your correct, and valve seats wear first, and she tightened up a bit. Right now it will sing you a song with 19k on the odometer.
    Last edited by MightyMirageMpg; 12-06-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: re-worded

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyMirageMpg View Post
    There definitely is lash. It's not a part, its a term used to describe the slack in the valvetrain.

ide hope anyone talking about valve adjustments can tell the difference between a injector click and a lifter tick can always use a stethoscope, if your not sure.

Hopefully your correct, and valve seats wear first, and she tightened up a bit. Right now it will sing you a song with 19k on the odometer.
    But you can't make a valve lash adjustment. I bet it doesn't even have the second locking nut.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

MightyMirageMpg (12-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HitShane View Post
    But you can't make a valve lash adjustment. I bet it doesn't even have the second locking nut.
    You are right. There is no locking nut, just replaceable tappets.

Tappets (item #5 in diagram) are selected from a range of thicknesses and installed to provide proper valve clearance. It is not expected to ever need service, but in case of overhaul the service manual describes a procedure for measuring and calculating valve tappet size for proper clearance.

You can download a copy of the service manual and review the procedure for yourself any time you like! Look for the procedure in section 11B.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eggman For This Useful Post:

Daox (12-07-2016),HitShane (02-27-2017),MightyMirageMpg (12-07-2016)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    You are right. There is no locking nut, just replaceable tappets.

Tappets (item #5 in diagram) are selected from a range of thicknesses and installed to provide proper valve clearance. It is not expected to ever need service, but in case of overhaul the service manual describes a procedure for measuring and calculating valve tappet size for proper clearance.

You can download a copy of the service manual and review the procedure for yourself any time you like! Look for the procedure in section 11B.
    Where does one find the service manual to download?

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Where does one find the service manual to download?
    Pm sent.
    (blank signature)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mmc-manuals.ru. This website has lots of info about these and other Mitsubishi cars.

Regards.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    mmc-manuals.ru. This website has lots of info about these and other Mitsubishi cars.

Regards.
    Thanks

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Regards.
    Are you sure that site is ok? It seemed to try and eat my computer alive when I went there.

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Are you sure that site is ok? It seemed to try and eat my computer alive when I went there.
    Interesting. I haven't had any problems with that site.