Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Valve adjustment info found under hood (Periodic valve adjustement required?)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justamirage View Post
    Are you sure that site is ok? It seemed to try and eat my computer alive when I went there.
    I never have issues either but I also have uBlock origin and ad blocker plus installed in chrome.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HitShane For This Useful Post:

Eggman (03-05-2017)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    The maintenance schedule for the 2015 Mirage has a very few Xes in a row next to the words "Inspect and adjust valve clearance" and "3A9" engine, but-But-BUT there is a footnote designated by " *2 " ! And when you look at the end of the schedule for the footnote *2, you find it says this:

*2: Check valve clearance in case abnormal noise from valves is heard.

The maintenance guide has a Schedule 1 ( for vehicles used in more challenging conditions) and a Schedule 2 (for more gently used vehicles); on both schedules, the check valve clearance contingency is indicated by Xes for 60,000 miles and 120,000 miles. So it sounds like you are supposed to listen for abnormal valve noise, once every 60,000 miles, and, if you hear it then, have the dealer do whatever it is they do to adjust the valve clearances.

Presumably, were the valves making an abnormal noise at any other time, the dealer (or any other mechanic) would be only too happy to inform a Mirage owner that the valve clearances needed to be checked and possibly adjusted for a lusciously high price.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage DE 1.2 automatic: 43.0 mpg (US) ... 18.3 km/L ... 5.5 L/100 km ... 51.7 mpg (Imp)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,562 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I could be mistaken but I don't know of anyone here on the forum that has had to adjust their valves ever. I'm sure we'll find out if anyone has.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 automatic: 40.5 mpg (US) ... 17.2 km/L ... 5.8 L/100 km ... 48.6 mpg (Imp)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to inuvik For This Useful Post:

DonkeyPal (03-28-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,848 Times in 1,101 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by inuvik View Post
    I could be mistaken but I don't know of anyone here on the forum that has had to adjust their valves ever. I'm sure we'll find out if anyone has.
    As others have stated earlier in this thread, the valves on the 3A92 require no routine maintenance. They are the solid-lifter type, but there are no provisions for adjustment other than pulling the cams and replacing the tappets with ones of a different thickness. There are no shims, no locknut adjusters, etc.

This is only required if abnormal valve train noise is heard.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobrajet For This Useful Post:

Daox (03-29-2019),DonkeyPal (03-28-2019),inuvik (03-28-2019),poorman1 (03-29-2019)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    I've owned several older hondas with a ton of miles, and even the 20+ year old engines in them rarely needed much if any adjustment at the 250000+ miles I had on them when I checked valve clearance on them(these were d-series motors with valve adjusters). With the advancements in oil, metallurgy, and engine design, with regular oil changes I suspect you would be at 350k miles or more before you needed to worry about valve clearance in one of these engines.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kzelisko For This Useful Post:

johane (08-31-2020)

Country
    United States
    Thanks

Major Engine failure!

I had a major engine failure at 72.5K miles. The compression was 180,0,10. I nursed it from 100 miles South of Tulsa, OK to Luck, WI. About 1.5K miles. The replacement engine has taken 30K miles to break in. The compression as of today at 37K miles is 200, 195, 190. The clutch disc was put in backwards by the tech who did the engine. The trans has gone bad. It is almost impossible to shift when the outside temperature is below 30F. It also grinds from 2 to 3 and 4 to 3 when cold. All of the gears are very notchy. At 110K miles the trans never did break in. My Mazda Trans were always broken in at 30K miles. My 323 trans had 323K miles on it and shifted like new. The Protege trans had 147K miles on it and was still shifting like new.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    BTW: Do you check the valves at 30K miles and is the clearence supposed to be .010 to .020 inches??
    rich!

Out of the 183 active members there have only a few mechanical issues. The one thing that no member has reported is a major engine failure. The 3A92
    is an excellent motor. There have been a few problems with manual transmissions being notchy to shift and there have been a few clutches that have needed replacement. The CVT's seem to be very reliable with some members reporting some harsh initial takeoff issues but those are few and far between. Yes the 2014's and some 2015's had rear axle alignment issues. Yes the 2014 & 2015 have under sized brakes but I have a 2015 and have no complaints. The Mirage is a simple frugal car. Doesn't handle great but is very efficient and inexpensive to operate. Exactly the kind of car I wanted.[/QUOTE]
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    No, NO, NO! When all of the lash is used up the valves won't close and the engine won't start due to a lack of compression.
    rich!
    2019 G4 Wine colored. 'Burgundy'
    130K miles, 37MPG average at 75-80 MPH with A/C and Lights
    I am on the second engine and trans! 4.5 months out of 18 in the shop!
    Not so happy any more!

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eggman View Post
    mmc-manuals.ru. This website has lots of info about these and other Mitsubishi cars.

Regards.
    Eggman, Thanks for manuals site. I also have cold startup rattle (quite on second starts); but now I put lifter noise as least in the list of possible noise making culprits. Drain-back filter, viscosity issue, VVT sprocket, and newer oil pressure controls could all be in play here. Hearing about good running 100k+ mile engines with similar startup symptoms SURE eases my mind. Thanks to you and the boys of this Forum.

Country
    Germany
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,158 Times in 670 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic View Post
    ... The clutch disc was put in backwards by the tech who did the engine. The trans has gone bad. It is almost impossible to shift when the outside temperature is below 30F. It also grinds from 2 to 3 and 4 to 3 when cold. All of the gears are very notchy. At 110K miles the trans never did break in.
    GOD Bless and Thanks,
    rich!
    BTW: Do you check the valves at 30K miles and is the clearence supposed to be .010 to .020 inches??
    rich!
    Maybe the clown who put the clutch plate in back-to-front also put 80W/90 into the transmission? I would have a look.

Valves: Standard value [cold engine]:
    Intake valve 0.22 +- 0.04 mm (0.009 +- 0.001 inch)
    Exhaust valve 0.30 +- 0.04 mm (0.012 +- 0.001 inch)

Country
    United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,788 Times in 2,107 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shad View Post
    Eggman, Thanks for manuals site. I also have cold startup rattle (quite on second starts); but now I put lifter noise as least in the list of possible noise making culprits. Drain-back filter, viscosity issue, VVT sprocket, and newer oil pressure controls could all be in play here. Hearing about good running 100k+ mile engines with similar startup symptoms SURE eases my mind. Thanks to you and the boys of this Forum.
    Hello Shad and welcome to the forum. You’ll have to tell us about your Mirage.

click to view fuel log View my fuel log 2015 Mirage ES 1.2 manual: 49.6 mpg (US) ... 21.1 km/L ... 4.7 L/100 km ... 59.5 mpg (Imp)